Pellet Prices- We are doing it to ourselves....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LEES WOOD-CO said:
woodsman23 said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
woodsman23 said:
How come a cord of wood in my area is only 55 bucks delivered?? What give other places.
Face cord.

Yes a face cord 4x8x16" what size are you talking for 350 bucks???? What size is a full cord?

Full cord = 3 - 16" facecords.
Wesrtern NY is notorius for calling facecords , cords.
Drives me nuts, I wish they would do away with the terms "face cord" and "ricks".

Wet1 said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
woodsman23 said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
woodsman23 said:
How come a cord of wood in my area is only 55 bucks delivered?? What give other places.
Face cord.

Yes a face cord 4x8x16" what size are you talking for 350 bucks???? What size is a full cord?

Full cord = 3 - 16" facecords.
Wesrtern NY is notorius for calling facecords , cords.
Drives me nuts, I wish they would do away with the terms "face cord" and "ricks".

Me too. It's regional. Most people here never heard of a full cord.

woodsman23 said:
Okay then even at 55 a face cord (which i and all my friends know what a face cord is) x3 is still 1/2 the price when all added up. So 165 for a full cord here then man thats real cheap.
Also to consider is what kind of wood (softwood weighs less per cord and has a lot less BTUs than hardwood) and where it came from. Seasoned red oak has nearly 3700 lbs/cord and 24 million BTUs. Douglas Fir only has 2900 lbs/cord and 18 million BTUs. That means a cord of doug fir should cost 25% less than a cord of oak. Usually not the case (or you get the "mixed" cord of who knows how much of what you're getting). Even hardwoods are way different - Osage Orange has 4700 lbs/cord (33 million BTUs), hickory is 4300 lbs and 28 million BTUS. We see a lot of maple & sycamore here - both of which are within a couple of % of pine in terms of weight/BTUs.

Also, if the woodcutter can get it free (like state forest cutting) then he's gonna have a lower cost basis. Same with if he gets it local & delivers locally - less fuel cost.

BTW, cedar & Ohio Buckeye are about the only firewoods that don't weigh at least a ton/cord. That means anyone who delivers your "cord" in anything less than a 1 ton truck might be shorting you (or they're wrecking their truck).

Status
Not open for further replies.