Pellet Shifter DYI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoerBoelAmari

Oct 24, 2012
Made a pellet sifter today. Thought I would share with you guys. I'll grab another photo in the morning of the completed front.

9abca145cce024afbac3639771afe710.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post pics. Looks like a good weekend project.

Is there a slope on the bottom? If that's 1/4" hardware cloth on the bottom, you're going to need some finer window screening over it. I speak from experience.

IMGP1521.JPG

There is a slope. It was actually a 3'x3' decorative aluminum covering that I found at Home Depot and cut to size.

Make sure the spacing is less than 1/4" or you'll have pellets hanging up in the openings or falling through.

Last edited:
great thread. Thanks for posting the pictures (great job on the sifter!) and the videos!

Now that we are up and running for the season - we are still figuring out how best to run the stove. Next step, learn these little tricks of the trade that will help me out in the long run :)

Hi Guys,

This is our second year of running a pellet stove. I've been sifting the bottom of the bag as there's always some dust there. I do buy the lowest dust ones i can find in my area.

Which works better the vacuum method or the sloped screen method?

Also is it worthwhile to sift to sift the entire bag or just the last portion?

Hey Sabrina, I use the vacuum method and do the complete bag. Sometimes the last portion I run through a collander to get the bulk of the fines out. For me it is more about the dust over all...

Reactions: Mt Bob
I spent for a complete system from pelletcan.com. When I bought it it was in the house a- daughter next to the stove, my wife would not let me have anything "home made" in there. Now that I have a garage and my pellets and hopper are in there I would consider making my own. Nothing like bringing in the pellets 17lbs at a time in a coal hod. Much easier for us old folks (talking about my wife shhhh)! Much less dust in the house too!

http://www.pelletcan.com/PelletDuster/PelletDuster.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.