Q&A pellet stove back-to-back with woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My house has a fireplace that is open on both sides (front and back open to two different rooms). The side facing the Living room currently has a wood fireplace insert installed. I am reasonably satisfied with the insert and wish to keep it. I am considering installing a pellet-type fireplace insert on the other, family room, side. (I cannot afford the space required for a freestanding stove on that side.) I am wondering if the wood stove might overheat the pellet stove and damage it.

Answer:

Depends..many wood stove inserts have a double wall around them which keeps rear temperatures lower...this helps because, with an insert, you want the heat to come out the front anyway. Also, you might be able to block heat from one to the other by installing a sheet of sheet metal 1/2 way between the two. Of course, two separate vent systems are needed. I am assuming that you intend to use double liners in the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.