Pellet Stove Campfire Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rheinlen

Jan 23, 2023
Maryland
Hello everyone,

I am a new member, and excited to learn more about my pellet stove. I just moved into a new house, and I turned on the pellet stove that is in my basement just to test it out. I only had it turned on for a couple hours. Ever since then the basement smells like I had a campfire down there. I haven't turned it back on in days, and still can't seem to get rid of the smell. I plan on having a company come out to inspect the unit to make sure that everything works accordingly.

So far, I have vacuumed out all the ash I could find. Any suggestions would be a huge help!

Thanks!

Make and model of the stove and how it is installed and
what type of chimney would be a big help?
But without knowing anything about your stove I would say your chimney has a downdraft
allowing air into your house from the air intake at the back of the stove. Try plugging it!

Reactions: Bob Sorjanen