Pellet stove exhaust is blackening the siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

English BoB

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2014
Brunswick NY
Exhaust pipe leaves the house approx 3 feet and has a little vent style cover at the end. Over time the siding has discolored and needs cleaning. To prevent this from happening again after cleaning, would a simple extension of the exhaust work ? Maybe another 2-3 feet away from the house wall.
Or, will this create other issues ?

thanks bob

Exhaust pipe leaves the house approx 3 feet and has a little vent style cover at the end. Over time the siding has discolored and needs cleaning. To prevent this from happening again after cleaning, would a simple extension of the exhaust work ? Maybe another 2-3 feet away from the house wall.
Or, will this create other issues ?

thanks bob
something like this would do.

Attachments

• IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 1,795
something like this would do.

Thanks, thats even closer than the current situation though. Maybe the wind flow around the house needs to be explored.

Thanks, thats even closer than the current situation though. Maybe the wind flow around the house needs to be explored.
That side of the house Faces a lake about 200 yards away with No house between us and the lake....
what I;m saying is we get Un-Obstructed wind towards the exhaust but no blackening of the house side.
wonder if pellet brand has any effect?

I have used brake cleaner many times to remove the soot. Make sure you test in a small area before you spray a big area.

If you increase your trim on the stove (add more fuel to the fire) it will smoke less.

I have used brake cleaner many times to remove the soot. Make sure you test in a small area before you spray a big area.

If you increase your trim on the stove (add more fuel to the fire) it will smoke less.
Use the water based brake cleaner its approved for use around areas wth plastic. Funny, i used that once to clean soot it worked awesome! But yeah, test a place first and rinse it well with the hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.