Pellet stove horizontal vent pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe91898

Jun 8, 2008
Westchester NY
Hi,
I am looking to put a pellet stove in my basement in the boiler room. My question is how far can I go horizontal on the vent pipe? I have about 13 feet of 4ft to 5ft crawl space to get by. There will be a good upward angle on the pipe and the ceiling above is completely covered with tin. I'm looking to go out a small foundation window if possible. Can I do this?
Thanks for any replies,
Joe

That's a nice document. Nevel's where I got my Quad many years back. Their service dept. was very helpful.

joe91898 said:
Hi,
I am looking to put a pellet stove in my basement in the boiler room. My question is how far can I go horizontal on the vent pipe? I have about 13 feet of 4ft to 5ft crawl space to get by. There will be a good upward angle on the pipe and the ceiling above is completely covered with tin. I'm looking to go out a small foundation window if possible. Can I do this?
Thanks for any replies,
Joe
The maximum recommended horizontal run for a Harman P38 stove is 48".
If you increase the pipe diameter to 4" or larger and utilize that 4-5ft height of crawl space to angle upward it might work but I`d first consult a dealer and your state code regulations.
John

im not real high on that long a run , even with a fair amount of up pitch its still a long ways to traverse. you would likely not get optimal performance , and other issues such as "nuisence tripping" of sensors in the unit which monitor airflow. also the flue would be more apt to clog with ash at shorter intervals. i would look very hard to find an alternative way of routing this flue system.

stoveguy2esw said:
im not real high on that long a run , even with a fair amount of up pitch its still a long ways to traverse. you would likely not get optimal performance , and other issues such as "nuisence tripping" of sensors in the unit which monitor airflow. also the flue would be more apt to clog with ash at shorter intervals. i would look very hard to find an alternative way of routing this flue system.

Yeah I have come to the conclusion it wont work. One other alternative is eliminating my oil fired boiler and going with a pellet boiler and venting into chimney. Looking to get away from the ever increasing cost of oil.
I do already have a pellet insert in my firplace so that will help a lot.
Thanks everyone for your help
joe

just outta curiosity joe , why put it in the boiler room? to keep pipes from freezing? or to heat the basement? do you have another basement location where one could be placed more conventionally? the boiler room would not freeze even with that i wouldnt think.

stoveguy2esw said:
just outta curiosity joe , why put it in the boiler room? to keep pipes from freezing? or to heat the basement? do you have another basement location where one could be placed more conventionally? the boiler room would not freeze even with that i wouldnt think.

This is a split level ranch with most of the basement being crawl space. The boiler sits in a small room with the washer and dryer and is open to all the crawl space making it easy to heat under the whole house. The garage was at some point converted to a family room which could also hold the stove but it is a tricky vent situation with an outside deck running along the whole side where the stove could go. I guess I could just cut a hole in the deck and run the vent pipe straight up. This room has a door that opens to the boiler room so the heat would eventually make it in there.
The bummer about the pellet stove (Breckwell p23 insert) up stairs it that it sits in the high part of the split level in the living room. It gets a nice toasty 85 degrees in there when the stove is running. I will try and use fans to blow the heat back to the bedrroms.
Anything to burn less oil is my objective right now.

ok i get ya, bummer that unit is in the "high side" of the house, by the way ken griffey jr just hit #600 home run , what a swing!!

back to the situation , think on it some more i imagine we can come up with somthing that would work without causing too much of an issue , a floor plan for the basement with the deck location would be helpful if you can gin somthing up , i'll take a look and see if i can figure somthing out

Status
Not open for further replies.