Pellet Stove in a Vacation Home Rental

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wintercowboy

Mar 7, 2018
New York
I would like to install a pellet stove in my vacation home rental. It typically rents for 2-3 days at a time. Multiple renters throughout the year. I've never owned a pellet stove and I am wondering if it would be recommended to install one for this type of use. I'm concerned about renters not being able to operate it properly and safely. What are your thoughts? Would a vented gas fireplace be a better choice?
Thank you.

Last edited:
I would like to install a pellet stove in my vacation home rental. It typically rents for 2-3 days at a time. Multiple renters throughout the year. I've never owned a pellet stove and I am wondering if it would be recommended to install one for this type of use. I'm concerned about renters not being able to operate it properly and safely. What are your thoughts? Would a vented gas fireplace be a better choice?
Thank you.
No don't do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: tlc1976
I Agree with Tony to much can go wrong

There is no heat in the dwelling now?

Electric or gas is the only way to go in a rental unit. Or stick with the baseboard or other central heat. When we go to Maine we rent cottages on Moosehead lake, some have these free standing fireplace style stoves, open front with a screen that goes over it, all metal enclosure. We don't use it but we do enjoy this one cabin that has a gas living room stove in it. it's a summer only cottage and that is the heat for the cottage spring and fall month. It amazes me that some drunken renter hasn't burned down the other cabins by now. No you want something low maintenance where your renter just has to turn a dial, you could have an accident prone klutz renting the place.

We have a rental unit we rent out attached to our house and it's on our central hot water oil heat and that's it. Other than a kitchen range there are no stoves in the place.

Reactions: wintercowboy
Electric or gas is the only way to go in a rental unit. Or stick with the baseboard or other central heat. When we go to Maine we rent cottages on Moosehead lake, some have these free standing fireplace style stoves, open front with a screen that goes over it, all metal enclosure. We don't use it but we do enjoy this one cabin that has a gas living room stove in it. it's a summer only cottage and that is the heat for the cottage spring and fall month. It amazes me that some drunken renter hasn't burned down the other cabins by now. No you want something low maintenance where your renter just has to turn a dial, you could have an accident prone klutz renting the place.

We have a rental unit we rent out attached to our house and it's on our central hot water oil heat and that's it. Other than a kitchen range there are no stoves in the place.
Thank you for the reply. I'm thinking like you are that it needs to be very simple to operate. Possibly electric maybe the way to go if I can find one that is safe and realistic looking.

Reactions: tlc1976
I'll pile on and say the same. A pellet stove would be asking for trouble. I'd keep it simple and just stick with electric.

ya defenetely no pellet stove in a rental that has multiple users like that. Plus your insurance may go through the roof since its a rental

No way would I put in a pellet stove in a rental. You'd get some dumb kid put a lego in the feeder and then you'd be trying to prove who is at fault or what renter etc. I would take a look at wood stove. When I rent a house, I love to look for houses with one.

I'd do nothing but the safest, easiest, most idiotproof thing in a rental. So built-in electric fireplace. Then you get some ambience too. Built in baseboards for the rest if needed. With a properly sized service box of course. No extension cords. No wood, pellets, anything that requires manual intervention. Not even really a fan of LP/NG with the risk of CO if something goes wrong (snow plugs the pipe, etc), gas leak, or other problems. Some will try messing with it themselves before they call you.

As someone who has long experience with rentals ill triple echo the warnings. Tenants need something foolproof. Absolutely foolproof. A wood stove is an invitation for trouble on so many levels. A nice fake electric fireplace would be a good choice.

Over the years I have helped a lot of people with their stoves and for the most part it has gone well but there is a percent of people that need electric heat with a thermostat in a steel box that only you can open. Generally it takes time to get used to a pellet stove and learn how they work. A renter isn't going to want to fool with it other then to push a button to start it.

I agree that it is dangerous, but I've rented many places during the winter for ski/boarding season with fireplaces and pellet stoves. The owners usually urged us to use the fireplaces or pellet stoves due to the cost of electric baseboards. Now, yes we do have experience with wood heating, but the owners do not always know that. One place had two pellet stoves and I remember the one was bad. could not keep it lit. As an owner I would try to find a better option.