Pellet Stove in Basement; Change my Heat Pump Ducts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benignvanilla

Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2007
I have a 1200 square foot house with a 1200 square foot finished basement for a total of 2400 square feet. When the house was first built, the basement was not living space. Now it's our primary living space. We installed the pellet stove down there, since we spend most of our time there.

My electric FHA system has only a single return, and that is near the ceiling upstairs.

I was thinking of putting a new return in downstairs and covering the upstairs return during the winter, so I can pull the warm air into the main space when we go to bed. Any thoughts??

i,d recommend against it , especially if you do not have OAK kit installed, cause too much negative pressure near stove , could effect burn. you will still build convection current over time which willl allow some heat movement upstairs, and with the return up there it may even help that , but cold air returns close to pellet or wood stoves is a no-no

Status
Not open for further replies.