Pellet Stove in Excisting Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camdids

Just started to learn about these things so please excuse my ignorance.
I'm looking to get a Harman Pellet stove to help with the heating. I have been to my local dealer and got his specs for having one. Our first choice, An Insert, wouldnt fit due to the width of the firplace at the back.(only 24" and he said it had to be 25).
He then told us the Flue has to be less than 12inches. I've managed to measure the Liner at the bottom where I can see it from looking up the chimney and it is just about 12inches.
Does this mean I cannot have any model of Pellet stove .
Thanks
Camdids

camdids said:
Just started to learn about these things so please excuse my ignorance.
I'm looking to get a Harman Pellet stove to help with the heating. I have been to my local dealer and got his specs for having one. Our first choice, An Insert, wouldnt fit due to the width of the firplace at the back.(only 24" and he said it had to be 25).
He then told us the Flue has to be less than 12inches. I've managed to measure the Liner at the bottom where I can see it from looking up the chimney and it is just about 12inches.
Does this mean I cannot have any model of Pellet stove .
Thanks
Camdids

It sounds like your dealer is being pretty vague.....

For instance, maybe a particular model of stove had a back measurement of 25 - and your fireplace 24 - BUT, perhaps your fireplace is deeper than needed and HAS 25" at the specified depth.

As far as chimney size, I think most experts would suggest that your reline the flue with 3 inch or 4 inch stainless steel to allow for easier cleaning and better exhaust of the flue gases.

In short, it sounds as if you would be able to install any of numerous pellet stoves.

Harry, this has continued to the "Incredible Suggestions" thread. I wish there was away to combine them so it wouldnt get confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.