pellet stove install in a 32ft fithwheel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fulltimefithwheel

Aug 1, 2014
Frederick Maryland
20140803_173009.jpg 20140803_173057.jpg hi everyone. I would like to bust the myth that you can't install a pellet stove in a fithwheel. This is my install in progress. First off I know its not CODE to install in a RV. But everything does meet code on the inside. I am a full time RV lifestyle and the winter propane and electric was at about $1600 A winter. The stove is a Harman accentra $2800 new. Keep in mind that I am not on the road. You must add support under the slide out floor. The stove is 400lb loaded. I will try to load more pics soon. Not sure if all got on here .There will be a 3000 watt inverter install running off four 220 amp hrs 6volt deep cycle battery. And a honda 3000si generator for the long term outages. I will post another thread when it gets cool enough to fire it up. If you don't here from me that means things didn't go so good. 20140803_174930.jpg20140803_173009.jpg 20140803_173057.jpg20140802_133122.jpg 20140724_193446.jpg20140803_175239.jpg

Last edited:
There's a lot of installs out on the Bakken oil field in RVs. A lot of them went In when LP went thrugh the roof. Good move as portable tank gas is outrageous. I am trying to buy a Avent that has 12 volt motor system and is small for camping.

I forgot to note that to do this as safe as possible you MUST use the highest quality stove and vent system you can find. That's why i chose the Harman. I only got one chance to get it right. But its way better than paying PEPCO

PEPCO can't keep the power on long enough to run up much of a bill. >>

Reactions: Mt Bob
My neighbor bought a 32ft fifth wheel last year. Like I told him, I can't believe that they don't offer mini-split heat pumps with'em these days. In the S. Md/NOVA area they would be ideal.

Reactions: johnny1720
If you wanted to get on the road, how would you do that?

The OP is probably busy right now. They just had a nasty storm smacking them for the last hour or so.

Just my $0.02 worth, you might want to put a bit of downward angle on the end of the vent to help keep water out.

Nice neat install ! Thanks for taking the time to post this, I have a park model trailer and was considering putting a pellet burner in it this fall. This may inspire me to do that.

Take those slide supports out. Remember, that slide was built to support a couch and two or three adults sitting on it. A 400# stove is well within that range. None of the RV manufacturers recommend supporting the slideouts since what can happen is the rest of the trailer can (will) move and then the slide is supporting the trailer. You're better off without that mess. A proper hearth pad will help distribute the load of the stove over a larger area.

I think it looks great. Also think there is no reason that you couldn't bolt the stove down provided that you can run those bolts down into the bottom of the slide without hitting support members. I would use carriage bolts installed upwards from below so the smooth heads will slide in nicely.

Take those slide supports out. Remember, that slide was built to support a couch and two or three adults sitting on it. A 400# stove is well within that range. None of the RV manufacturers recommend supporting the slideouts since what can happen is the rest of the trailer can (will) move and then the slide is supporting the trailer. You're better off without that mess. A proper hearth pad will help distribute the load of the stove over a larger area.

I think it looks great. Also think there is no reason that you couldn't bolt the stove down provided that you can run those bolts down into the bottom of the slide without hitting support members. I would use carriage bolts installed upwards from below so the smooth heads will slide in nicely.
Thanks. I will have to look into that. Sounds like a good idea.

Are you using an OAK? i was under the assumption that is one of the biggest issues with small spaces, running out of oxygen.

Reactions: DBCOOPER
Make sure you have a CO detector. Another guy on here had one on his boat the CO would slowly creep up after long burns not sure if he ever resolved it. It was such a small space any spillage of CO started to build up.

Make sure you have a CO detector. Another guy on here had one on his boat the CO would slowly creep up after long burns not sure if he ever resolved it. It was such a small space any spillage of CO started to build up.
Yes. I have one now but will add a second before I fire it up. + I have 2 fire extinguishers. One in bedroom and one in main room

I have run a 30000 btu kerosene heater in this 5ver before and it didn't kill me .so I'm hoping the pellet stove will be ok. It draws the air for the fire from the outside. As the kero heater just used up the inside air. + the kerosene stinks.

Last edited:
OK, I ain't a pellet stove wizard but since when is carpet a "non-combustible surface" under a pellet stove?

Edit: Never mind. Guessing it is sitting on the Harmon cast iron floor protector.

You have a generator and batteries, but I assume your hooked up to a full time power source where this is parked?

O yes. You can see my homemade power pole in the first pick. It's all about redundancy. I just lost power from heavy storms here about a month ago. Was out 2 times in one week. Total of 4 days and I had no generator at that time. (lesson learned) got to keep the stove running in the winter. Pipes freeze fast in an RV..

Your intent was to show an rv install but your pictures and quality components are great guidance for any install.