djh860 Posted By djh860, May 12, 2019 at 12:21 PM

1. djh860

djh860
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 12, 2019
    Loc:
    millbury, MA 01527
    The spot I've placed my pellet stove was planned for a wood stove. There is a full brick surround a field stone floor and a 8" flue to a dedicated single purpose chimney. The chimney has no clean out access at all.
    Still I'd like to vent into this convenient location. My question has to do with the air intake line. I have no easy place to run this line. It seems like removing some brick and drilling through the wall makes sense but I am only renting this place so I'd like to make this as neat as professional as is possible. What are you recommendations for the air intake?

Attached Files:

2. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    How tight is the house (air leaks doors windows)
    You may not need a OAK (outside air kit)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Renting, I would skip the outside air intake. Even owning it seems many/most don’t install an outside air intake. I think it’s always superior to burn outside air but is it worth the hassle?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. djh860

djh860
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 12, 2019
    Loc:
    millbury, MA 01527
    The house is not very tight at all. I was also considering the Outside vent.

5. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    As Highbeam said
    and if the house leaks air you don't need one

Peterfield likes this.
  6. BUBIBEAR

BUBIBEAR
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2010
    Loc:
    central maine
    Read the owners manual . It states that this stove should be run with ,the OUTSIDE AIR HOOKED UP. Best advise is to listen to the people that build these great stoves .It dose make a difference.

7. Peterfield

Peterfield
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2013
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    There is a dual pipe flue setup where you have both the air intake pipe and the exhaust pipe running up the flue and a special flue cap that both pipes fasten to.

8. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Some manuals require the outside air hookup and say it MUST be used. Some don’t say anything. “Should” means it’s optional don’t you think?

SwineFlue and johneh like this.
  9. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Englander does require an OAK. The stoves do run better but in a situation like yours where you’re not the home owner and the house is leaky i would try it without the OAK and see. Be aware that a power outage could cause the stove to smolder and fill the house with smoke.

10. fmsm

fmsm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2011
    Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    I think it is Selkirk that makes a pipe with a hollow outer wall that is used for outside air.