Pellet stove install into existing Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

djh860

May 12, 2019
millbury, MA 01527
The spot I've placed my pellet stove was planned for a wood stove. There is a full brick surround a field stone floor and a 8" flue to a dedicated single purpose chimney. The chimney has no clean out access at all.
Still I'd like to vent into this convenient location. My question has to do with the air intake line. I have no easy place to run this line. It seems like removing some brick and drilling through the wall makes sense but I am only renting this place so I'd like to make this as neat as professional as is possible. What are you recommendations for the air intake?

Attachments

• chimney2.JPG
    chimney2.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 355
How tight is the house (air leaks doors windows)
You may not need a OAK (outside air kit)

Renting, I would skip the outside air intake. Even owning it seems many/most don’t install an outside air intake. I think it’s always superior to burn outside air but is it worth the hassle?

As Highbeam said
Renting, I would skip the outside air intake. Even owning it seems many/most don’t install an outside air intake. I think it’s always superior to burn outside air but is it worth the hassle?
and if the house leaks air you don't need one

Reactions: Peterfield
Read the owners manual . It states that this stove should be run with ,the OUTSIDE AIR HOOKED UP. Best advise is to listen to the people that build these great stoves .It dose make a difference.

There is a dual pipe flue setup where you have both the air intake pipe and the exhaust pipe running up the flue and a special flue cap that both pipes fasten to.

Read the owners manual . It states that this stove should be run with ,the OUTSIDE AIR HOOKED UP. Best advise is to listen to the people that build these great stoves .It dose make a difference.

Some manuals require the outside air hookup and say it MUST be used. Some don’t say anything. “Should” means it’s optional don’t you think?

Englander does require an OAK. The stoves do run better but in a situation like yours where you’re not the home owner and the house is leaky i would try it without the OAK and see. Be aware that a power outage could cause the stove to smolder and fill the house with smoke.

I think it is Selkirk that makes a pipe with a hollow outer wall that is used for outside air.