Pellet stove install question - use of chimney going half way up a wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Ackerly

Burning Hunk
Which better - having vent pipe coming through wall of chimney, where the hole is, or having it come out of the top of the chimney? Both are about 4 feet from the closest window, but the bottom windows are fixed shut and do not open. (The 2x4s on side of chimney are coming down.). Thanks!
John
IMG_6588.jpg

The cheapest is out of the hole and a vent cap angled down (Streight out)
As long as min distances are maintained from windows as per manual

Hole would look better IMO.

I have enough pipe to do it either way. My wife thinks coming out the side of the chimney would look bad. But I'm worried if it came out the top it may discolor the hardiboard siding.

Are you going to run vertical pipe either way? Just going horizontal, if the power goes out you're likely to get smoke in the house. If you come out where that hole is and then run vertical, you'll be farther out from the house. It also means you can have an accessible clean-out at the bottom of the vertical run.

Are you going to run vertical pipe either way? Just going horizontal, if the power goes out you're likely to get smoke in the house. If you come out where that hole is and then run vertical, you'll be farther out from the house. It also means you can have an accessible clean-out at the bottom of the vertical run.
Yes, definitely planning on having retired vertical pipe regardless. What is it, 3 feet? I need to check.