Pellet Stove install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

escyr

May 5, 2021
Southern Maine
Thanks to all who help me with my decision on pellet stove vs wood stove.

Now that I'm looking to have a pellet stove installed, I have a few questions on flue piping and location.

When our home was build 5 years ago, we had planned for a wood stove, so the home was prepared by having a chase left between the 1st floor and 2nd floor to run the wood stove flue pipe. Now that we've decided on a pellet stove, should I forgo running the stove pipe up through the 2nd floor, into the unconditioned attic and out the 12/12 pitch roof and just direct vent the stove pipe out the wall?

Also, I've been told that pellet stoves don't produce much radiant heat. The location we had planned for our wood stove was centrally located between our dining room and living room but facing into our living room. Would it be better to have the pellet stove in the living room facing our open kitchen/dining area, which would also face our open stairway to the 2nd floor?

Washed-Up

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2011
Kananaskis,Alberta, Canada
johneh is correct....I have a P61 and it radiates heat quite well also

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
We are all tight on here. Why we use alternate heat. Me, I'm really tight as in free corn. Another vote for through the wall. You want the venting to be as direct as possible and venting is expensive anyway.

escyr

May 5, 2021
Southern Maine
Well that's easy when everyone agrees.

Any pros/cons to going straight out the back of the stove thru the wall as opposed to going up 4' then out the wall?

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
I'm in favour of the up 4 and out makes it look
more like a traditional wood stove. Some
people prefer the straight out for ease of cleaning

moresnow

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
Quick question. For those that go straight out with the venting....
What happens if you change stove's in the future? The next stove outlet would have to be even or if anything different, lower than the current venting configuration. May be worth a thought while in the planning stage?

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Whatever you do, just keep in mind that the more convoluted the exhaust gas path is, the more restricted the flow is. Far as different heights are concerned, that is what brick pavers are for and what I did when I replaced my old one for the new one years ago.

Had to raise mine about 4". The other thing is, you want the cleanout Tee outside, versus inside. Fly ash in the venting is messy and the venting will have to come apart for cleaning. Fly ash has a nasty habit of clinging to painted / finished surfaces.

Tech Guru

Burning Hunk
Jul 17, 2015
Ontario
Having the vent with a 4 or 5 foot rise before going out helps ensure a draft would still be present in the event of a power outage - so if you're in an area with potential for outages (without an automatic backup generator) it can be very helpful. That, and potential future stove changes (not all stoves have their vent outlet in the same place) are the main reasons I would suggest up and out to a horizontal cap.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
In reality, you don't get very much natural draft from a 3" diameter vent pipe anyway. Maybe enough to suck some smoke out but not much in reality. One reason I went to 4" with a 3-4 increaser cleanout and 15 feet of vertical 4" vent. Even that don't 'suck' very hard.