pellet stove installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dittodal

Nov 5, 2017
North Carolina
So I just received my new Pleasant Hearth Stove, I had read reviews about the toxicity of the curing process, Opening windows when its 14 degrees is not reasonable.... Some folks suggested firing it up outside before hook up? I dont know the venting makeup of these, are they like wood stoves with hot embers (pellets coming out) that make that a dangerous option? Is the curing really bad inside?

You will want to open windows it will smoke a bit. If you can, fire it up outside. You wont get any embers flying out of the exhaust if that worries you.

You will want to open windows it will smoke a bit. If you can, fire it up outside. You wont get any embers flying out of the exhaust if that worries you.

Hi. Thanks, yeah its 14 out, not really wanting to open windows. I would prefer to light outside just want to make sure it is safe.Does it matter if its windy or not?

Well don’t put the exhaust towards the wind, but yes you should be ok. When you get the stove up and running you may need to run it on high to do a burn off in extreme temps outside this week. You dont have a sheltered area, garage? Shed? Car port?

Well don’t put the exhaust towards the wind, but yes you should be ok. When you get the stove up and running you may need to run it on high to do a burn off in extreme temps outside this week. You dont have a sheltered area, garage? Shed? Car port?

Hi, yes I have a wrap around porch that has a 28 wall around all but the stairs. The wind has also subsided so I’m heading out in a little bit here, I’ll let u know how it goes.Gonna be 10 here tonight would be great if this were up and running.

Be curious how you made out, let us know !

Be curious how you made out, let us know !

Hello, Sorry i did not get back sooner, this pellet stove has a definite learning curve. I did start it up outside which was a good call. The smoke coming off the stove from the curing process was 10 fold to the smoke from the flu. I would definitely recommend outside start up when possible. Thanks for the input,