Hello all,
Need a bit of advice from anyone who has done a hearth mounted install of a wood stove (or chosen not do this as the case may be).
I would like to have a wood stove installed rather than an insert. I think a stove will look 'nicer', heat the space better rather than trap all that heat behind a facia, allow me to put a water kettle on top for humidity, and finally avoid the need for a fan. I've had a Buck Stove insert in my basement for the past 20 years, and I find the fan very annoying.
This is in the living room of the main floor. Secondary heating source, mostly evenings and weekends, and of course emergency heat. About 1600 square feet on the main floor, open floor plan. Single story with a basement.
I am not installing this myself, a local chimney professional wil take care of this. I just had the crown of the chimney fixed and had a liner intalled at the same time. Bascially, just waiting for me to choose a stove. Fireplace meassures 31" height up to the lintel, 35" wide, 27.5" deep to the hearth. Hearth is 20" stone. Lintel and associated materials apper to be about 10" thick.
I've asked for recommendations from the company, and have received 4 or 5 different suggestions, mostly inserts. He did suggest an Alderlea T5 free standing stove, and I like the look of the it. However, I don't know if it can be installed far enough onto the mantle the way I am planning. It vents out the top. The vent pipe exits at about 10 inches from the back of the stove. Add that to the 10 inches of lintel, and I'll have only about 6-8 inches of stove sticking out of the fireplace. Is that enough for my hope of "convective" heat? I also see that the Alderlea has these wings that can unfold from the top to place a kettle, etc. I can't tell from the specs if I'll be able to use these.
I asked about this, installer suggested a Vermont stove, but didn't offer a specific model. Shopping online, website has a stove call a Defiant that has an optional rear vent.
I would appreciate any thoughts from the collective experience. I've dropped a couple of pics here, happy to provide more info or pics.
![[Hearth.com] Hearth Install Stove Advice [Hearth.com] Hearth Install Stove Advice](https://www.hearth.com/talk/data/attachments/349/349287-41aa681f4a1fb4229ca132d3042150ce.jpg?hash=s5oqqs7BMf)
Need a bit of advice from anyone who has done a hearth mounted install of a wood stove (or chosen not do this as the case may be).
I would like to have a wood stove installed rather than an insert. I think a stove will look 'nicer', heat the space better rather than trap all that heat behind a facia, allow me to put a water kettle on top for humidity, and finally avoid the need for a fan. I've had a Buck Stove insert in my basement for the past 20 years, and I find the fan very annoying.
This is in the living room of the main floor. Secondary heating source, mostly evenings and weekends, and of course emergency heat. About 1600 square feet on the main floor, open floor plan. Single story with a basement.
I am not installing this myself, a local chimney professional wil take care of this. I just had the crown of the chimney fixed and had a liner intalled at the same time. Bascially, just waiting for me to choose a stove. Fireplace meassures 31" height up to the lintel, 35" wide, 27.5" deep to the hearth. Hearth is 20" stone. Lintel and associated materials apper to be about 10" thick.
I've asked for recommendations from the company, and have received 4 or 5 different suggestions, mostly inserts. He did suggest an Alderlea T5 free standing stove, and I like the look of the it. However, I don't know if it can be installed far enough onto the mantle the way I am planning. It vents out the top. The vent pipe exits at about 10 inches from the back of the stove. Add that to the 10 inches of lintel, and I'll have only about 6-8 inches of stove sticking out of the fireplace. Is that enough for my hope of "convective" heat? I also see that the Alderlea has these wings that can unfold from the top to place a kettle, etc. I can't tell from the specs if I'll be able to use these.
I asked about this, installer suggested a Vermont stove, but didn't offer a specific model. Shopping online, website has a stove call a Defiant that has an optional rear vent.
I would appreciate any thoughts from the collective experience. I've dropped a couple of pics here, happy to provide more info or pics.
![[Hearth.com] Hearth Install Stove Advice [Hearth.com] Hearth Install Stove Advice](https://www.hearth.com/talk/data/attachments/349/349287-41aa681f4a1fb4229ca132d3042150ce.jpg?hash=s5oqqs7BMf)