Pellet stove installation - range hood vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LeslieMD

Sep 22, 2018
Maryland
Problems with getting and installing a wood stove insert without investing a lot of money (quote was $10,000-15,000) have led me to look at pellet stoves and inserts. If I go with a stove, I'm considering putting it in the dining room. I'm in the middle of a renovation, and the kitchen used to be located where the dining room is. There's an existing range hood vent near where I'd like to place a stove. Can I use that existing opening or do i need to cut a new hole? The vent appears to run horizontal from the hood.

You MAY be able to use the opening if it is correctly sized for pellet vent. IIRC, most pellet thru the wall
thimbles require a 9" diameter opening to meet required clearances. How big is the existing hole?

I looked at the vent (thimble?) on the side of the house and the hole cover is about 8 inches, so I imagine the actual vent is smaller.

Get yourself a pellet vent thimble & whittle the hole to fit...Maybe with a sawzall.
Do it right & keep yourself & your family safe.