Pellet Stove Modification for Wood Chips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jensenbenh

Dec 28, 2023
Roxbury, VT
I'm interested in modifying a wood pellet stove to burn wood chips. Has anyone done anything like this? If so what was involved? Thanks in advance.

never herd of it being done, one you would have to sharpen the auger to cut through the wood chips, make sure the auger motor was strong enough to cut through the wood chips, make sure the control board could handle the extra amps the motor is going to draw when trying to slice though wood chips..

It would be nice if it worked as i have a unlimited supply of wood chips where i work from a mill that just shut down and was producing pellets..

Different application but similar in design. Contact Lone Star Grillz, they are making a pellet grill that can use chips.

Are you able to dry the wood chips? They wouldn’t dry like cordwood due to the lack of air movement.

Those pellet baskets might allow wood chips to burn in a stove easily.