Pellet stove nightmare

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jschenberg

Nov 19, 2014
Pennsylvania
I am having major issues with my King 5500M. My burn pot is overflowing with unburnt pellets. I've tried my stove on the lowest setting and its like its not getting hot enough to burn them I'm wasting fuel and having a major fire hazard. The flame is lazy and I am having major black build up on the glass. I have no experience with pellet stoves and it is very cold outside.
I've tried calling the customer service and that was a joke, left several messages and never heard anything back. If anyone could please give me some advice I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.

a member here by name of "owen1508" can help you. hes a US stove rep. Id have to say sounds like your combustion blower isnt pulling enough air or your pellets are feeding WAY to fast. May need to bump up combustion blower, but on yours im not sure how.

Does it have a manual draft on bottom somehwere? if so open that up about an inch or so?

Whats your exhaust ventilation setup?
Are you running an outside air kit?
What is the heat range set to?
What is the draft fan set to?

If it is cold out why are you burning on the lowest setting? What happens if you turn it up?

I'm a total beginner, but looking at page 14 of your manual, I would say do this:

1) Shut your stove down by pushing the ON/OFF button, leave it be until the fans stop running and it cools down.
2) Clean up any excess pellets and ash
3) Make sure your Stove's doors are closed nice and snug
4) Perform the startup procedure on page 16
5) Press both the UP and DOWN arrows on the AUX to return your stove to factory settings.
5) Look at the MODE button and make sure you're in AUTO mode. If not, press the button once so it returns to AUTO mode as per the LED indicator
6) The only button you should press for now, other than making sure you're in AUTO is the HEAT RANGE button. Don't mess with the fan speed buttons. Let the stove's brain figure it out.

You can especially cause yourself problems if you mess with the fan buttons without understanding the consequences (DRAFT FAN or ROOM FAN, but especially DRAFT)

All if this assumes that your stove was installed properly according to manufacturer spec. If your exhaust system is not good, your stove will never be good (my strong personal opinion).

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

I am having major issues with my King 5500M. My burn pot is overflowing with unburnt pellets. I've tried my stove on the lowest setting and its like its not getting hot enough to burn them I'm wasting fuel and having a major fire hazard. The flame is lazy and I am having major black build up on the glass. I have no experience with pellet stoves and it is very cold outside.
I've tried calling the customer service and that was a joke, left several messages and never heard anything back. If anyone could please give me some advice I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.
In addition to the comments of others, it sounds to me that perhaps you'll need to do a thorough cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.