Pellet Stove outgas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crazy Corgi Lady

Jan 20, 2024
Danvers, MA
We had a Harman pellet stove installed in December. Picked Harman because we heard it was an excellent product. When the installer fired it up, it smokes quite a bit in the room. We were told because it was new, although a showroom model so used a little, it would need burn-in time. Since we've been using it, I wake up with a sore throat and cough a lot. Is this normal? It's been almost a month now. Today it is 11 outside so it is the first time we used it all night. Love it except I feel like I am sitting downwind from a campfire all the time and feel like I need to open the window to get some fresh air which defeats the point of getting it.

Can you smell smoke or a campfire smell?
If so have the installer back to check that the chimney connections are sealed
In a dark room or at night with lights off a flashlight shone on the joints will show smoke
if there is a leak. Because the stove has a forced draft the pipes if not sealed
leak very easily.
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Washed-Up
We had a Harman pellet stove installed in December. Picked Harman because we heard it was an excellent product. When the installer fired it up, it smokes quite a bit in the room. We were told because it was new, although a showroom model so used a little, it would need burn-in time. Since we've been using it, I wake up with a sore throat and cough a lot. Is this normal? It's been almost a month now. Today it is 11 outside so it is the first time we used it all night. Love it except I feel like I am sitting downwind from a campfire all the time and feel like I need to open the window to get some fresh air which defeats the point of getting it.
There should not be any smoke smell from your stove, especially after the short break in period. If there is, you probably have a leak in your venting system.

What is your humidity level in your house? A pellet stove puts out a dry heat. You should have about 40-50% humidity in your house. I run a couple of humidifiers when running my Harman’s.

Yes it smells like a campfire in the house, first level and upstairs. Very strong outside first level bathroom which is where our heating system intake is and is about six feet from pellet stove. Figure when oil system is running, intake is pulling smoke in with it.

Agree with @johneh but I would add that you need to do the flashlight search when the stove first fires up. Once it's up and running there is no smoke. Well..........there should be no smoke.

Reactions: johneh
Thank you for this additional info. We tried it and yes, there is smoke present. Got a call in to the installer. Hopefully it is an easy and quick fix and I can stop coughing.