Pellet Stove placement help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey guys i'm almost done with the install and quite excited. I have one last question. Should I be concerned with the power line? It's about 1.5 feet away (the cable closest is actually the metal support cable). The vent is actually below the line level so I was thinking it is ok. If this is not a good setup then I'll go straight up above the roof with a Vertical cap.

IMAG1702_zps23qmzrab.jpg

I'm thinking that those power lines constitute a "combustible". Does the pipe manufacturer and/or stove require further than 1.5' away from the center of the vent cap (my manual states 3' to combustibles to front, sides and below)? However, it also states 12" clearance under a veranda, porch/deck etc. is 12".

If you are getting this inspected by the town and/or your insurance agent, it might be best to discuss it with them because it doesn't matter what a manual says, but what they will okay.

Reactions: rich2500
I'm thinking that those power lines constitute a "combustible". Does the pipe manufacturer and/or stove require further than 1.5' away from the center of the vent cap (my manual states 3' to combustibles to front, sides and below)? However, it also states 12" clearance under a veranda, porch/deck etc. is 12".

If you are getting this inspected by the town and/or your insurance agent, it might be best to discuss it with them because it doesn't matter what a manual says, but what they will okay.

It says Minimum 2' from any Adjacent Building. Minimum 2' above any grass, plant, or combustible material. Minimum 1' clearance from combustible wall.

I don't think the 2' above combustible applies here because the vent is actually under the power line and there's nothing below it that's combustible.

My insurance company approved of the use of the pellet stove and did not require any inspection as long as proper procedures were followed. I will email them to see what they say about this.

Last edited:
Yeah 3.5 outside and 1 inside.

I emailed Penn Power and asked about clearances and they sent me a pdf explaining everything required regarding power lines and it mentioned nothing about fire place exhaust clearance. Only buildings, trees, swimming pools, etc.

Reactions: bogieb
You could also possibly spin your end cap say 45 degrees away from the lines shooting down still to direct the exhaust away a bit better while still retaining rain and weather integrity. Just throwing out another on the fly thought.

But as Lake Girl said you could lose a section of pipe and still likely have natural draw for power outages. The exhaust is powered anyway. The vertical is mainly suggested for smoke to continue to escape for a power failure.

This can also be addresses with a UPS which supplies battery power for proper shut down. You have many options and "IF" you are 2 feet below the lines then you are good. That said I'd consider an imaginary circle of 2 feet in all directions like 2 feet out and 2 feet up etc; I really do not think you have a huge concern. The exhaust is only hotter right out of the end and as it immediately mixes with cold air just out a bit it feels like a dryer vent exhaust type heat or hot air. Just follow minimum recommendations for venting in your manual.

You could also possibly spin your end cap say 45 degrees away from the lines shooting down still to direct the exhaust away a bit better while still retaining rain and weather integrity. Just throwing out another on the fly thought.

But as Lake Girl said you could lose a section of pipe and still likely have natural draw for power outages. The exhaust is powered anyway. The vertical is mainly suggested for smoke to continue to escape for a power failure.

This can also be addresses with a UPS which supplies battery power for proper shut down. You have many options and "IF" you are 2 feet below the lines then you are good. That said I'd consider an imaginary circle of 2 feet in all directions like 2 feet out and 2 feet up etc; I really do not think you have a huge concern. The exhaust is only hotter right out of the end and as it immediately mixes with cold air just out a bit it feels like a dryer vent exhaust type heat or hot air. Just follow minimum recommendations for venting in your manual.

I will be purchasing a UPC and Generator and I'll drop it down a foot then. It should be fine until.

The stove is done and ready and it's time for project #2: The pellet hauler. I have a 2001 Cherokee that is down for repairs and i'm working around the clock to get it running again so I can have it to haul the tons of pellets I will need. It's just my luck that my other wrangler's brake line exploded and lost all brakes so that one is useless as well. All we have is this small silver Hyundai car that she won't let me use.

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me. I will update this once I have pellets and it's fired up!

Reactions: bags and bogieb
I would treat it as if it were a tree - power lines are considered combustibles, so I would err on the side of caution.
. I have a 2001 Cherokee that is down for repairs and i'm working around the clock to get it running again so I can have it to haul the tons of pellets I will need. It's just my luck that my other wrangler's brake line exploded and lost all brakes so that one is useless as well. All we have is this small silver Hyundai car that she won't let me use. !

I don't blame her -You've broken all your toys, she doesn't want hers to be next ;lol

Reactions: Lake Girl and bags
:):)::-)!!! Hey I do not advise this but yesterday afternoon I was hauling 16 - 19 bags at a time on my Honda 420 Rancher quad from the barn to the garage. I did 19 bags once on front and rear racks. It worked fine but the Honda was waaayyy over loaded. 19 x 40 = 760 lbs.

It was beyond weight limits and maxed out but all I had to do was roll 100 yards. I usually use my tractor with the front loader and a carry all on the back but I have it on jack stands doing maintenance and had to run some pellets in. Plus I wanted to see what I could be dumb enough to do pushing stuff a bit. The quad was easy and I'm walking now but limited as I just got out of two casts with two broken ankles and a broken heel.

Had to get a bit dangerous and industrious at the same time......

Reactions: bogieb
:):)::-)!!! Hey I do not advise this but yesterday afternoon I was hauling 16 - 19 bags at a time on my Honda 420 Rancher quad from the barn to the garage. I did 19 bags once on front and rear racks. It worked fine but the Honda was waaayyy over loaded. 19 x 40 = 760 lbs.

It was beyond weight limits and maxed out but all I had to do was roll 100 yards. I usually use my tractor with the front loader and a carry all on the back but I have it on jack stands doing maintenance and had to run some pellets in. Plus I wanted to see what I could be dumb enough to do pushing stuff a bit. The quad was easy and I'm walking now but limited as I just got out of two casts with two broken ankles and a broken heel.

Had to get a bit dangerous and industrious at the same time......

Hope you are healing alright. That sounds painful!

That is why I think she won't let me use the car and it's pretty new so she don't want it dirty. Luckily it's going to be in the 50's and 60's for the next week or two and I should have the cherokee up and running by then. I installed HD suspension lift kit on it so I know it can handle anything I throw at it. I really need to buy a trailer though. Heck I need everything!

Reactions: bags and bogieb
Ah come on, gonna be chilly tonight run out and grab a bag or two and fire that puppy up.;)

Reactions: bags
Ah come on, gonna be chilly tonight run out and grab a bag or two and fire that puppy up.;)

Tempted but not yet dude. I'd feel better taking my newly rebuilt jeep out to bring home a ton and sit back and enjoy the fire while thinking about what it took to get that fire. :)

Reactions: rich2500
you fire the Serenity yet

Hey Thanks Y'all! I am healing up well but it has been a long drawn out process. Yes it hurt for quite awhile. Especially while I was in the hospital and the first few weeks at home. I am now out of the casts and off of my crutches getting around fairly well but nowhere near 100%.

I have fired my P68 as needed mainly at night for awhile or in the morning a couple of hours. I didn't run it last night but did fire it up this morning to knock off the chill and hang with the pup. The Boss Lady wanted an Australian Shepard so we picked one up. He's a character. Almost human like in many ways. He is a very different dog than others and has some very unique mannerisms. It's her baby.

Can't wait to see the Serenity fired up. It's coming soon but I don't blame you for holding out as long as possible. When I heated primarily with wood I held out sometimes way too long. LOL! Now with the ease of the pellet stove and pressure from my chilled wife I cave easily. Enjoying mine now!

Get some good pics up when you do fire that bad boy up. We dig pics around here. Good Luck & Stay Warm, Jesse or Bags < nickname I've had since around the 2-3rd grade.

Reactions: bogieb and rich2500
Not yet but soon. Still wrenching on the pellet-hauler jeep. Turns out the alternator was seized and not allowing the belt to spin and battery to drain. I'm estimating maybe two more days and I'll be off to get some pellets.

Hey guys got a question for another off road member who purchased the same Serenity stove. His location is at 4000+ feet and he was unaware of the need for 4" pipe when he was installing it so he just left the 3" vent and been using it. It burns well and all but he said the vent pipe gets extremely hot and he cannot lay his hand on it or it will, in his words, "burn the s#$! out of me".

Is the exhaust vent supposed to be this hot or is this normal?

Hey guys got a question for another off road member who purchased the same Serenity stove. His location is at 4000+ feet and he was unaware of the need for 4" pipe when he was installing it so he just left the 3" vent and been using it. It burns well and all but he said the vent pipe gets extremely hot and he cannot lay his hand on it or it will, in his words, "burn the s#$! out of me".

Is the exhaust vent supposed to be this hot or is this normal?

Probably...... Rich is the Serenity guru around here so check with him. The exhaust vent will get too hot to touch on my Harman P68 & P45. I never touch it but have gone out and pulled my termination elbow off for a clean and it had not cooled down much before I started.

I had to put gloves on to handle it and that was outside. That said all exhaust 3-4 inch vent gets hot, hot. As long as it is installed correctly with a wall thimble and proper clearance to combustibles he should be fine. Think of the exhaust pipes on motorcycles. They get hot as hell too.

Not sure about the 4 inch that has been done with 3 inch on his stove. Like I said Rich is the go to guy on the Serenity stoves around here. so see what he thinks.

At the higher elevation with 3", he may want to reduce the venting to the bare minimum required for his install just to ease restriction. He should keep an eye on ash accumulation ... may require more frequent cleaning.

lol, just saw that it was his post Rich referred to...

So today I went to Tractor Supply to see what kind of pellets they have and decided to buy a ton. They charged me $167. I asked twice if that was right and they said it was on sale so....sure!

Loaded 3/4 of it in my lifted cherokee and then realized my springs were about to be inverted so I hauled that home and returned for the rest. Then I went back for another ton cuz at that price it's a steal, right? I went to the register and showed em my receipt and asked for another ton. They looked at the receipt in a confusing manner and said something is wrong with this (new girl was probably confused). They called the manager over and she said it was a mistake. They charged me for 40 bags at $167 when it should've been $259 for 50 bags. Then I said "let me pay for the 10 bags that I was not charged for and call it good." So I paid the $51 for the 10 bags they missed and did not pick up another ton since it was at regular price. Still a good deal though. $218 for a ton.

It's supposed to snow in two days so I'm about ready to fire this thing up. Any tips to dialing it in?