Pellet Stove Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Draughts15

Dec 23, 2020
Upper Midwest
Hello,

I've been contemplating a wood stove for a while now but after doing some reading, I'm thinking a pellet stove may be the best option. Less work,, hassle, more family friendly as for as lighting and thermostat control,, etc. I'm pretty new and inexperienced when it comes to pellet stoves. I'm looking for a very efficient stove to meet the tax credit, but that wouldn't be a hard stop. I

What are some of the better brands of pellet stoves as far as quality and warranty?

I'm trying to heat about 1500 sq ft main level with a mostly open floor plan in Minnesota. Any recommendations on a stove?

Id like one with an air wash or one that keeps the glass mostly clean, what would you recommend?

Besides daily maintenance, can I run these for many hours at a time if I keep up with ash removal and regular maintenance? I'd like to run it when I'm at work or away for about 8 hours at a time. I'm sure these are just as safe if not safer as running a cat stove for long periods.

Please share you experience on warmth, maintenance, and how you like it compared to wood stoves.

I'm finding information on pellet stoves is a little harder to find, sorry if some of this has already been addressed. Thank you.

Hello,

I've been contemplating a wood stove for a while now but after doing some reading, I'm thinking a pellet stove may be the best option. Less work,, hassle, more family friendly as for as lighting and thermostat control,, etc. I'm pretty new and inexperienced when it comes to pellet stoves. I'm looking for a very efficient stove to meet the tax credit, but that wouldn't be a hard stop. I

What are some of the better brands of pellet stoves as far as quality and warranty?

Harman. Built like a tank & runs like a Cadillac. (others may disagree)...

I'm trying to heat about 1500 sq ft main level with a mostly open floor plan in Minnesota. Any recommendations on a stove?

How well is the home insulated? I heat a walk out basement with a Harman P61 (61K BTU INPUT & appx 46K BTU OUTPUT) & burn about 3 tons of pellets a season. There is one door & 2 sets of double hung windows facing North. Walls are r21 & have 1" Hi-R (polyisocyanurate) under the siding. Keeps 1150 SF at 69 - 70 even on the coldest days.

Id like one with an air wash or one that keeps the glass mostly clean, what would you recommend?

Harmans have an air wash system. You will still have to clean the glass periodically. I clean it every couple of days after I scrape the burn pot & heat exchanger.

Besides daily maintenance, can I run these for many hours at a time if I keep up with ash removal and regular maintenance? I'd like to run it when I'm at work or away for about 8 hours at a time. I'm sure these are just as safe if not safer as running a cat stove for long periods.

Mine runs virtually nonstop for as long as it takes me to burn a ton of pellets, or whenever the ash pan is full. Takes me 25-30 minutes to clean it completely, including brushing the venting. It's pretty much "set it & forget it," as long as there are pellets in the hopper.

Please share you experience on warmth, maintenance, and how you like it compared to wood stoves.

The BIGGEST difference is the amount of clean up after loading. Burning two bags per day during the coldest months here in NY, there is minimal dust & an occasional "oops" when the pellets miss the hopper, but nothing as bad as bugs, dirt & bark associated with burning cord wood. FWIW, the heat from a ton of pellets is approximately equal to a cord of wood.

I'm finding information on pellet stoves is a little harder to find, sorry if some of this has already been addressed. Thank you.

Hope this info helps you in your quest.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I second the Harman’s. Daksy summed it up nicely,