Pellet Stove Smells Like Previous Owner's Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Awpoole100

Nov 25, 2018
Indiana
Hey All,

I recently purchased a used Ashley AP5710 for $150. The previous owner's house was absolutely disgusting and reeked of cat urine and cigarette smoke. I didn't think anything of it since it was just for my garage. I have installed the unit and it's working, but the hot air being blown out of the stove smells like the previous owners home and it's stinking up my garage. Any ideas on what I would need to clean to help eliminate the smell? Do you think it will just go away over time? Not sure if it makes any difference, but I used an outside air intake kit.

Thanks!

Take the convection blower out and blow out the stove and squirrel cage spray some fabreez oder stuff in there or some clorox and water disinfectant. If it were mine id hose it out, but its the wrong time of year for that

Take the convection blower out and blow out the stove and squirrel cage spray some fabreez oder stuff in there or some clorox and water disinfectant. If it were mine id hose it out, but its the wrong time of year for that

Thanks! I'll give that a try!

Yes take the blower out and wash it best you can for now. Next year if the fan comes loose from motor put in dishwasher. Or replace it.

Ummm don't spray anything flammable in their... it should just burn the smell away after a day or so...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

If they had animals there is probably cat/dog hair packed into the convection fan squirrel cage vanes pretty good. It might look like part of the fan at first glance; it will not blow clean easily. You may have to scrape each vane with a small screwdriver or similar. These mats of hair can retain odor, and drastically reduce the fan's efficiency.

Vacuum up well and spray Lysol disinfectant into the fan intake while running.

Running an OAK will have no effect on interior odors. The OAK effectively seals off the combustion side from the home's interior. Your odor issue is all confined to the interior air circulation side.

My experience with cat urine is that it never goes away unless treated. I have used water, vinegar, and a dish soap mix to eliminate most urine smells.

Reactions: Ssyko
Peroxide and baking soda could also help. Sorry not to have thought of that before.