Pellet stove to chimney help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CactusBob

Dec 3, 2022
Southern NH
I recently found a pellet stove, an Enviro Maxx1 for $500 that seems to work well. It's been tested outside and won't come in the house until I can clean it thoroughly.
I am putting it in place of the woodstove I currently have which means using the existing chimney.
According to one of the manuals I found that is ok to do. My problem is the connections.
From the stove to the chimney thimble will be rigid pipe with a T at the bottom for cleanouts. From the top of the chimney will be a cap, flexible liner to the thimble on the inside of the chimney. How do I connect the two? The pellet stove pipe is 4in and the thimble is 6in.

I had one person tell me to run the flex pipe from the top of the chimney all the way through the thimble to the stove. He did say to insulate where it goes through the thimble with heatproof insulation.

I have seen online where they talk about putting a cleanout T in the chimney to meet up with the thimble. I'm not sure how that would ever get cleaned out since my chimney cleanout is in the basement and the stove is on the first floor.

This will be the only appliance hooked up to the chimney
Any guidance on what I need to hook this up is greatly appreciated

Reactions: Ssyko
What kind of chimney? block clay lined class A?
If the chimney is good then I would use a 6 to 3 or4
adaptor from the chimney to the pellet stove pipe
By the way, an Enviro Maxx is a heat beast nice find

It appears to be clay lined with brick outside, I haven't found anything that shows using the existing chimney without the liner, would that draft enough? I think the chimney is about 8x13

A pellet stove is a forced draft. Very little natural draft
That is one of the reasons to install an OAK (outside air kit)
If your flue is in good condition I would forgo the liner
Just my nickles worth

I checked with Enviro, if the chimney is over 28sq in it needs a liner.
Does anyone know a good supplier for the pipe and liner, Is it better to get a chimney kit or just the different parts.
Thanks in advance

I checked with Enviro, if the chimney is over 28sq in it needs a liner.
Does anyone know a good supplier for the pipe and liner, Is it better to get a chimney kit or just the different parts.
Thanks in advance
28 square inches is almost exactly a 6” pipe. That seems like quite a coincidence.

So I finally found out the liner connects to a snout that comes through the chimney,
Does anyone know what I use to connect the stove to the snout?
Does it need to be the same mfg as the liner?
Any idea of a good supplier
Thanks

The manual should detail the various venting, but there should be an appliance connector that attaches directly to the appliance, usually sealed/caulked to the appliance and then that connects to the chimney liner (flexible pipe). Some mfg are interchangeable as the sizing is similar, but from my reading it's recommended to stick with the same mfg if possible.

Hope that helps.