Pellet Stove venting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan

Sep 27, 2007
Central MA
Is it better to have the vertical portion of the vent be inside the house? Or is it better to have it outside the house? Thank you in advance.

Is there a significant advantage to having the vertical component of the pipe at the inside of the house over having the same vertical component at the outside of the house in regards to promoting natural draft? The reason I ask is that i plan on using the "outside air kit" by Harman to provide outside air for the stove without having to make an additional hole on the side of my home for that little fresh air intake. Going vertical at the inside of the house would require a wall thible at the top where the pipe exits the house for termination and also another opening in the wall at the bottom for the fresh air for the stove. If the advatages are significant then i will have to go with two openings.

IMHO the short vertical required with a pellet stove is not going to perform any different inside or out , unlike a woodstove chimney which likes inside better to help keep it warmer thus increasing draft , pellet stoves are forced draft units and the convective draw is not as signifigant a factor in their operation.

Looking at Harman's website they show an outside vertical run, so it should be fine (see link, I don't know which stove you have, but they seem to show this setup for all of them) http://www.harmanstoves.com/specifications.asp?id=20

P.S. It is forced draft as long as the fan is running, which should be okay if you have the battery backup. Also if you had a model that can burn corn or pellets (PC45) it would reduce condensation if it were inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.