Pellet Stove vs Wood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've had a few pellet stoves and my current house has an Englander pellet stove in the basement family room and a Vermont Defiant in the open concept floorplan upstairs. My house was built in 1997. I run the pellet stove in the basement on its lowest setting just to try to keep the chill off in the basement. I am burning just over a bag a day. That's about $180/month. This house is drafty! Lots of windows. Pellets were about $300/ton after taxes. My primary fuel is natural gas and I have a pretty efficient hot air furnace. Gas is pretty cheap when comparing to pellets on a $/BTU basis. Like half.... I have not burned a fire in my wood stove yet as I need to remove the flue and inspect the refractory in the stove. I don't have much useable firewood left over from the previous owner. One of these days I'll buy some and light a fire in the stove and see what it does. I'm a little concerned that it might be too big for the space as I have heard they are heat monsters.

So the cost to keep the chill off my basement is about $180/mo and my furnace still runs quite a bit. I don't see any way you could heat a house for $300/season on pellets. I won't even get two months of semi-comfort heating in an El Nino year for that price. In southern NH I used to burn 2-1/2 to 3 tons per year at around $300/ton for softies. I was on #2 oil there and oil was pushing $4/gal at the time. That made more sense. Today I'm just burning money to keep the basement warmer. My neighbor in NH used to burn cord wood and he would get it delivered by log truck with a grapple and they would just put it in his yard. He would cut, split and stack it. I think he switched to pellets after his kids grew up and left home. o_O

As far as noise, the bottom feeder stoves seem to a bit quieter. Englander's, Harman's, etc. You don't get the clink of the pellets hitting the burn pot.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I've had a few pellet stoves and my current house has an Englander pellet stove in the basement family room and a Vermont Defiant in the open concept floorplan upstairs. My house was built in 1997. I run the pellet stove in the basement on its lowest setting just to try to keep the chill off in the basement. I am burning just over a bag a day. That's about $180/month. This house is drafty! Lots of windows. Pellets were about $300/ton after taxes. My primary fuel is natural gas and I have a pretty efficient hot air furnace. Gas is pretty cheap when comparing to pellets on a $/BTU basis. Like half.... I have not burned a fire in my wood stove yet as I need to remove the flue and inspect the refractory in the stove. I don't have much useable firewood left over from the previous owner. One of these days I'll buy some and light a fire in the stove and see what it does. I'm a little concerned that it might be too big for the space as I have heard they are heat monsters.

So the cost to keep the chill off my basement is about $180/mo and my furnace still runs quite a bit. I don't see any way you could heat a house for $300/season on pellets. I won't even get two months of semi-comfort heating in an El Nino year for that price. In southern NH I used to burn 2-1/2 to 3 tons per year at around $300/ton for softies. I was on #2 oil there and oil was pushing $4/gal at the time. That made more sense. Today I'm just burning money to keep the basement warmer. My neighbor in NH used to burn cord wood and he would get it delivered by log truck with a grapple and they would just put it in his yard. He would cut, split and stack it. I think he switched to pellets after his kids grew up and left home. o_O

As far as noise, the bottom feeder stoves seem to a bit quieter. Englander's, Harman's, etc. You don't get the clink of the pellets hitting the burn pot.
Just curious if you’re running outside air on any or all stoves

A few years ago we had a 4 day power outage. No problem. I rolled out portable genny and I thought all was well until wife asks me me the following question. "Sure, you say it was not a problem getting gas and filling the genny. What about when you're 80?" I was 76 at the time. I put in a standby genny. So, what's your point @BigJohnfromCT? The point is, you may be fine now C/S/S fire wood but what about in 5, 10, 15 years. My pellet stove is 13 years old and I expect it to outlive me, I'm 80 and still able to haul the bags. Four tons per season. Not sure I could cut, split, stack and then haul four cords. Just my two cents. Think about tomorrow, not just today.

Hey. I am north of 72.I can still put my wood up just takes twice as long as 20 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: johneh and danrclem
My little two cents, I have a fireplace insert for burning wood, and two Harman pellet stoves. One in the basement and one is in the same room as the blaze king in an adjacent corner. When the wood stove cools down while I’m sleeping or out working the pellet stove kicks on. When it’s shoulder season the pellet stove takes the chill off without wasting cord wood.
I am very happy with this set up.

Just curious if you’re running outside air on any or all stoves
I just hooked up the outside air make-up on the Englander about a week and a half ago, during the cold snap with high winds. I didn't do it for economy reasons. I did it because of the high winds and the likelihood that I would lose power while running the stove 24/7. I did a test while it was running and switched the power off to see if smoke would back up into the house. It didn't..... for about 5 seconds and then it started pouring out of the combustion air inlet on the back of the stove into the room. I made sure the furnace was running and the negative pressure inside the house was causing the air flow through the stove to reverse. My exhaust currently goes straight out the wall with a 45 deg elbow down, no vertical rise. It doesn't have any natural draft.

No outside air for the Vermont. Never lit a fire in it.

Reactions: Washed-Up