Pellet stove & z/c Fireplace - Installing Block-Off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal65

Oct 3, 2006

After reading many posts on block-off plates I can clearly see they are recommended for safety and more heat. If you add insulation you can get even more heat.

I have a free standing Harman pellet stove with 4” pvp going through 8” pipe all the way up and out the chimney. The pipe is sealed at the top of the chimney. The non-masonary chimney is on an outside wall.
The stove sits in front of my zero clearance fireplace. Two pieces of black sheet metal cover the front of my z/c fireplace, there is a hole to let the pvp pipe pass through.

I am planning to install insulation and a block off plate. I have a couple of questions.
1. Can I use fiberglass insulation because of the lower temps or should I buy the ceramic wool stuff?
2. This will radiate heat to the back of my Harmon stove. This is where the blowers and electronics are located. Don't pellet stoves like to be cool/warm on the backside?
3. Do I have to be concerned about heat building up in mostly sealed z/c fireplace? Maybe take off the sheet metal covering the z/c fireplace after I install the plate?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.