Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you give us a few more details?

Does it help if you crack a window?...are you in a mobile home?...do you have carbon dioxide detectors?...is it an old stove?...insert?....

Jim

Is it a new stove? If so, you'll have to put up with some odors from the paint and oils burning off the stove. It takes a few hours of burning to even start to get rid of the odors.

We have been getting very bad head aches that we have associated with dried out sinus........ we baught a humidifier and do not have head aches any more.

This is a new stove insert, Oct. 08, Pellet / Corn fed. Strong odor which is giving me terrible headaches. We live in a 2300 sq.ft house and want to use this to heat it.

Burn it on high for an hour or two and crack some windows. I was fortunate that when I installed mine it was 80 degrees out so I just cranked it up as hot as it would go and opened all the windows and left them that way till the stink was gone.

Was this stove proffesionally installed? If its not installed properly you could be getting flue gas in Your home.
If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector get one!

how many hours have you burned it so far? if it has only been a few, it is likely the oils and paint curing, like everyone else has said. But i would also be very concerned with the presence of carbon monoxide. if you don't have a detector, get one! headache is one of the early symptoms of CO poisoning.

You also will have a difficult time heating your entire home relying solely on the pellet stove.

By the way, you'll get alot more reads and replies on this thread if you are more specific in your post. All posts in this specific forum are related to pellet stoves. If you stick around this forum you'll learn more than you ever thought possible about pellet stoves.

OK I will try to be more specific. Bought the stove insert in July 2008 it was professionally installed opened windows and burned for about 1 hour. Have been burning daily for the month of November. We do have a working carbon-monoxide detector .

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.