Pellets and ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsha Cook

Nov 17, 2013
NH
stove is a Harmon P61A. House is about 1000 sq ft. Last year ran Okie with no issue. End of the year I grabbed a pallet of Barefoot. After that and for this season I have bought 3 ton of Cubex.

Problem with the Barefoot and the Cubex is a build up of ash. As it burns, the ash builds up on the burning platform ( don't know the real name) edge. It does not get pushed off easily and continues to build up, sometimes over the flame. Once the flame goes out and is trying to start again, heat builds up and causes a mini explosion as it starts. Explosion is the wrong word but it is pretty startling.

Pellet usage is about a bag and half a day.

Is it me or is it Pellets? Feeder is 4, temp is at 70. Same settings as last year. Obviously Pellets are not one of my main knowledge areas so help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much. I enjoy reading this forum and am learning a lot.

Marsha

Reactions: Windjammer
Yes, wrong place. Trying to get it fixed.
Marsha

Got it moved:)
I see the stove is a older model and I usually ask then, when was the last time the door gaskets been tested or replaced?
If air is not coming in where it should through the fire but around the doors your fire gets less lively along with some carbon plugging the pot holes and your stove is not happy.

Thanks for the move.

Stove was all cleaned and tested by the local Harmon dealer about 6 months ago. Changed the igniter but that was all. Pot holes look clean.

Will read on the dollar bill test and give it a try.

Thanks for the lead.

Reactions: jerl77
Your gonna get ash build up on your burn pot no matter the quality of pellets you use, some more some less its not a unusal occurrence. I scrape my burn pot 2 to 3 times a day it takes 30 seconds thats completly normal.Just scrape under the fire try not to scrape the exsisting burning pellets away. There will be carbon chunks down there use elbow grease to loosen them up.Specially in the corners of the pot. Are you burning softwood or hardwood? If hardwood try turning your feed rate to 3 . If your trying to light your pellets with ash build up on the burn pot its gonna have issues lighting cause of the air to fuel ratio I hope i am understanding your question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.