Pellets don't all fall into auger box from hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

64c2pit

Jan 6, 2016
Rhode Island
Hello, I have a Harmon P61a. its 7 yrs old and the hopper stops feeding the pellets in the auger box while it is still approx. 6 to 8 lbs. remaining in it.
I've cleaned the bottom of the pan and applied some wax/polish to the surface. That didn't make any better. It seems like there should be more robust vibration so the pellets fall.
Any suggestions are welcome

Mike

Yes! The fines box is not involved in the way the pellets fall into the auger box. There seems to be a steeper slope with the pellets now than before. The pellets don’t seem to tumble as easily as before.

A jammed full fines box can inhibit the movement of the slide [plate
that allows the pellets to fall into the auger, that's why I asked.
Is the slide plate installed correctly?
My P61A is 10+ years old & has never had an issue with the pellets
not dropping, & I burn softwoods which are a little lighter than hardwood...

Hello again , I realize that you thought. the plate might not be working correctly. The slope of the pellets is steep, but I can see right into the auger box from above. The pellets aren’t sliding down the slope into the box. I’m thinking they need more vibration to make them start to fall.
Thank you for your assistance!

A jammed full fines box can inhibit the movement of the slide [plate
that allows the pellets to fall into the auger, that's why I asked.
Is the slide plate installed correctly?
My P61A is 10+ years old & has never had an issue with the pellets
not dropping, & I burn softwoods which are a little lighter than hardwood...
P61A also and i have same problem. Burn douglas firs and spruce woods and still the pellets funnel. Dont remember that happening when i burned hardwoods few yrs back.