Castle serenity auger not feeding or turning at all

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejr3453

Feb 10, 2023
New Hampshire
Hi,
I have a Castle Serenity approx 6 yrs old, recently had to replace the ignitor. While replacing I removed the auger motor, then reinstalled, after everything worked as normal for approx. One week. After that when starting I would get the indicator symbol on the controller that the auger was dropping pellets but nothing would happen. Took apart the stove again, when using the diagnostic mode with the auger motor removed, the motor would just vibrate for a second but not turn. I figured the motor was bad so I ordered a new one, just plugged the new motor in and ran a diagnostic before installing it back into the stove, the motor didn't spin at all and if I try to start the stove I get no indicator symbol on the controller that the motor is being signaled to drop pellets. I have recently replaced the vacuum switch within the last month and the hopper lid switch seems to be working from looking at the diagnostic screen. Just seeing if there is something I am missing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: carslinger
I have the same stove and it is also six years old. Fortunately, mine has not given me any problems. A motor which hums briefly then shuts down sounds like it is jammed. Can you get to the augur itself and make sure nothing is stuck somewhere?

Reactions: carslinger
Did you have any luck fixing this? I am having the same issue. Thanks
Did you figure this out? We are also having the same issue. So far we've cleaned out the auger by removing it, checked the temp switch control and the vacuum switch control by creating a wire jump. No luck. It still wont drop pellets at ignition. Worked no problem before replacing that darn ignitor.

Hi,
I have a Castle Serenity approx 6 yrs old, recently had to replace the ignitor. While replacing I removed the auger motor, then reinstalled, after everything worked as normal for approx. One week. After that when starting I would get the indicator symbol on the controller that the auger was dropping pellets but nothing would happen. Took apart the stove again, when using the diagnostic mode with the auger motor removed, the motor would just vibrate for a second but not turn. I figured the motor was bad so I ordered a new one, just plugged the new motor in and ran a diagnostic before installing it back into the stove, the motor didn't spin at all and if I try to start the stove I get no indicator symbol on the controller that the motor is being signaled to drop pellets. I have recently replaced the vacuum switch within the last month and the hopper lid switch seems to be working from looking at the diagnostic screen. Just seeing if there is something I am missing, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am having the exact same issue. What fixed it?

Did you figure this out? We are also having the same issue. So far we've cleaned out the auger by removing it, checked the temp switch control and the vacuum switch control by creating a wire jump. No luck. It still wont drop pellets at ignition. Worked no problem before replacing that darn ignitor.
I ended up talking to Alan at Castle, great guy. Mine is fixed! It ended up being the capacitor for the auger motor. Funny thing is the ignitor went at the same time.

Reactions: profdlp