Pellets fell in the heat exchanger tubes, what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Delphine12

Jan 10, 2018
United States
Hi, we are new to pellet stoves and we've had our Quadrafire pellet stove for several months (since moving into our new house) and love it. A few days ago 2 pellets fell down the heat exchanger tubes (while we were trying to remove pellets that spilled accidentally). When we turned the fire on, it was very smoky. I think we have two options:

1. Let the pellets burn off (and hopefully the smoky smell will dissipate after a few days?)

2. Try to disassemble the stove to remove the pellets. How difficult of a job is this?

Any advice from a more experienced pellet stove user would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I'm not at all familiar with your stove but I thought I'd offer 2 ideas. See if you can vacuum them up by attaching something to your vacuum that can reach them. Or, use compressed air to try and blow them away or to a location where they can be reached or vacuumed up.

Reactions: kappel15
What kind of Quad stove is it? kap

The tubes lead down to the conv. fan. You can try sucking them out or remove conv. fan and try from that direction. kap

Reactions: In the shop