Pellets hang up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WOODNUT358

Aug 1, 2008
RI
I have a XXV pellet stove. The problem is,the pellets get hung up in the hopper and won’t slide down. I am presently using Matra softwoods. I’ve even had problems with hardwoods. No matter how much I clean it,it still exists. Has anyone had this problem,and what was your cure. Thanks.

Happens in some stoves,even new ones. But,from what I have seen,over time and heat, lignin and other products leach out and stick to the hopper .Also,as sicone sealer gets older, in the seams, it gets "grabby".Foil tape in the corner/ramps has been used by many thousands,for a long time. Funny,I just recently cleaned the hopper in the Integra. it would "tunnell" but never really cared,as it is a manual stove, used only part time, and holds so many pellets. Well, even though it looked clean, my fingers would grab.I tried paint thinner,acetone, even with a copper scrub pad.Still felt terrible.Did not want to sand and paint it,as there is a coating on the metal,of some sorts.After several more attempts, grabbed a can of fuel injection and air intake system cleaner(carquest), was like night and day.That and some rags,a bit of scrubbing with the copper pad(chore boy) cleaned it up baby butt smooth, and did not damage the "paint" or whatever coating was used by Austroflamm years ago.Well the main ingredient of the spray is acetone,but something is different, or/and the other chemicals, as it worked so well, compared to straight acetone. So, because I could,and doesn't take long, I did the silver hi temp foil tape in the corner ramps,then waxed everything with some meguires I had open. Will be interesting to test, but I can tell the difference just when dumping a bag of pellets in. Will probably have to run the stove soon, as I have some control boards need testing. So basically I did what many have done,except I found just because it looks clean does not mean it is clean. The worse build up was on the front side,naturally, closest to the heat.It's vertical, but,as I was cleaning,I cleaned everything. Good luck and let us know what you try. I have used dry spray graphite before, but it sure looked like the lignin would just stick to it,also. Nice thing, we can always learn.

I use furniture polish to make the hopper slippery.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Seems to be normal for a Harman

I haven't run into it with my 52i but my parent's accentra insert it has happened to , usually a good cleaning with acetone or other solvent and waxing does it . I had thought of having a timed solenoid "bump" the hopper from the outside periodically as it seems to take the littlest touch and all the pellets slide right down.

It’s painted in mine, I just use a silicone polymer a couple times a season and no issues

Seems to be normal for a Harman
Not sure it is a Harman exclusive problem.. not saying it is not...
But it seems to us, that the only issues are
coming from the 100% white pine variety of pellets..
I've mentioned too many times, to go over the steps I took with my P68..
All I can say is, get it smooth, take off any of the overdone joint sealer,
and use something like Blaster dry silicone..
I have burned nothing but Matras this season, and have never had a sticking problem.
The stove has stopped running twice, because it ran out of pellets..

Dan

I've only had this happen when we first got the stove, 7 or 8 years ago. Got 2 bad/chitty tons of pellets. It was either Easy Heats or Penningtons, both hardwood, neither which I've ever burnt again! Ever since then, the only times the stove has shut down was for lack of fuel. Stove won't run without pellets in it! Operator error here. :) I've never cleaned, sanded, lubed, sealed or taped the hopper. Just brush the fines/dust into the slide plate area when it's low on pellets or I forget to fill it. LOL ;) Coming up on 50 tons burnt.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Not sure it is a Harman exclusive problem.. not saying it is not...
But it seems to us, that the only issues are
coming from the 100% white pine variety of pellets..
I can attest to white pine softwoods not feeding through my Harman Invincible hopper as easily as the smoother hardwood pellets. The softwoods also don't top up the hopper as easily as the hardwoods-- I have to push the pellets into the hopper after each of three separate pours from the bag. Worth the effort though to get the cleaner burn, greater heat, and much MUCH less ash.

Happens in some stoves,even new ones. But,from what I have seen,over time and heat, lignin and other products leach out and stick to the hopper .Also,as sicone sealer gets older, in the seams, it gets "grabby".Foil tape in the corner/ramps has been used by many thousands,for a long time. Funny,I just recently cleaned the hopper in the Integra. it would "tunnell" but never really cared,as it is a manual stove, used only part time, and holds so many pellets. Well, even though it looked clean, my fingers would grab.I tried paint thinner,acetone, even with a copper scrub pad.Still felt terrible.Did not want to sand and paint it,as there is a coating on the metal,of some sorts.After several more attempts, grabbed a can of fuel injection and air intake system cleaner(carquest), was like night and day.That and some rags,a bit of scrubbing with the copper pad(chore boy) cleaned it up baby butt smooth, and did not damage the "paint" or whatever coating was used by Austroflamm years ago.Well the main ingredient of the spray is acetone,but something is different, or/and the other chemicals, as it worked so well, compared to straight acetone. So, because I could,and doesn't take long, I did the silver hi temp foil tape in the corner ramps,then waxed everything with some meguires I had open. Will be interesting to test, but I can tell the difference just when dumping a bag of pellets in. Will probably have to run the stove soon, as I have some control boards need testing. So basically I did what many have done,except I found just because it looks clean does not mean it is clean. The worse build up was on the front side,naturally, closest to the heat.It's vertical, but,as I was cleaning,I cleaned everything. Good luck and let us know what you try. I have used dry spray graphite before, but it sure looked like the lignin would just stick to it,also. Nice thing, we can always learn.
OK,filled it up,since cleaning(a first), and let it run till it died.This was left, not bad at all--

20220125_052052.jpg

Reactions: Pete Zahria
read this thread

I let my stove run until empty a few times when I was "Y&Der", but it has a horizontal auger emptying in the back, and it would burn pellets all the way to the bearings in back. I replaced the two bearings, made a round steel disc shield that is on the shaft just ahead of the bearings, mounted a new auger motor with the gear box ... was just mid 1990s. I have since not ever let the box get empty so as to keep the burn out of the auger and in the burn pit. I've not seen the bottom of the pellet box since then, it stays covered with pellets but then I've never seen pellets cling to the exposed vertical sides either. This year's first pellets will push last year's left over pellets out into the auger drop gate, it'll do the rest.

Reactions: ARC
I have an 8 yr old XXV and was having the same problem. I usually burn softies which seem to not slide down the hopper as well has hard wood (but burn much cleaner). Lined the hopper walls with foil tape 2 seasons ago. Problem totally solved. Haven't had the pellet hang up issue since!

Reactions: Oregun
I have a XXV pellet stove. The problem is,the pellets get hung up in the hopper and won’t slide down. I am presently using Matra softwoods. I’ve even had problems with hardwoods. No matter how much I clean it,it still exists. Has anyone had this problem,and what was your cure. Thanks.
I have had similar issues in the past with my Harman P-43. It was only with one particular pellet, American Wood Fiber. I switched pellets and the problem disappeared.

I’ve also have an Accentra insert and never had this issue.