Pellets in Los Angeles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

superhero1219

Apr 10, 2008
Los Angeles
Hello everyone!

I know this sounds like an odd question - why would someone in California need wood pellets? While I don't have a pellet stove, I do have 8 very cute (and smelly) bunny rabbits!! I've been reading up on the best litter to use and a few people have suggested wood stove pellets. The problem is, I can't seem to find any in the area. I'm throwing up a hail mary - do any of you have any suggestions as to where I should look? I'd prefer an actual location as opposed to an online retailer due to the weight - I assume having them shipped would be very costly. If any of you have any suggestions, we're all ears (and there are a lot of ears over here).

My bags of Hamer's Hot Ones go as far as to say they are not to be used for animal bedding. I'm not sure about the Energex bags. I'm not exactly sure why you can't use them.

Same here---many bags warn against using for pets.

superhero1219 said:
Hello everyone!

I I've been reading up on the best litter to use
and a few people have suggested wood stove pellets.
The problem is, I can't seem to find any in the area.
I'm throwing up a hail mary - do any of you have
any suggestions as to where I should look?

The pellets used for animal bedding is different.
Do an online search for animal/pellet bedding,
or look in your local yellow pages under pet supplies.

So if these pellets are just compressed dried sawdust held together by the natural resins in the wood, why would you not be able to use them?

animal bedding is often certified free of maple, cherry, (and I think oak) because it can be toxic if eaten.

Horses shouldn't even stand on black walnut shavings. or shavings that have even a small percentage of black walnut in them.

billb3 said:
animal bedding is often certified free of maple, cherry, (and I think oak) because it can be toxic if eaten.

Horses shouldn't even stand on black walnut shavings. or shavings that have even a small percentage of black walnut in them.

Wow. I learned something new today. I'm telling my boss I have reached capacity and need to go home and watch the Masters. Thanks Billb

BubbRubb said:
billb3 said:

Wow. I learned something new today. I'm telling my boss I have reached capacity and need to go home and watch the Masters. Thanks Billb
I think the real danger lies in the potential use of them in the stove afterward.

I read somewhere that if the wood is kiln-dried at high temps (like 380 deg) then all of the aromatic oils that are toxic are burned off and whatever is left over is squeezed out when they're compressed into pellets. If that's the case, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to use any pellet that's been dried at high temps... :question:

superhero1219 said:
I read somewhere that if the wood is kiln-dried at high temps (like 380 deg) then all of the aromatic oils that are toxic are burned off and whatever is left over is squeezed out when they're compressed into pellets. If that's the case, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to use any pellet that's been dried at high temps... :question:

I can't answer your question, but I can tell you my thought process. It is in the best interest of the pellet mills to sell their product to as many people as possible. More sales = more profit. There must be some specific reason why they go out of their way to tell you not to use their product for animals. They wouldn't print that disclaimer, otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.