Pellets in open fireplaces?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

venis725

Oct 26, 2006
Can pellets be used in a standard wood burning fireplace with an insert? If not what do I need to purchase, instead of a pellet burner, to burn pellets in the fireplace.

venis725 said:
Can pellets be used in a standard wood burning fireplace with an insert? If not what do I need to purchase, instead of a pellet burner, to burn pellets in the fireplace.
wrong forum try the hearth room unless you want a sarcastic answer from us :cheese:

In an open fireplace, which isn't going to provide the main heat source for a home (even if you want it to), and in which you can't/don't want to burn regular cordwood, I think some type of compressed log is the answer. Looks more like a "real" fire, lasts longer, and is much more readily available. I just bought a fireplace log at the local grocery store to cut up and use as starter. They had cases and cases of them on sale. Why mess with pellets at that point?

Of course, if you happen to have a ton of pellets in your garage and no pellet stove you could either (a) sell them, (b) make your own burner basket, (c) buy a pellet insert for the fireplace. I can't see how that basket would do anything other than smolder a bit.

The OP was talking about a fireplace with an insert - so that has the potential to throw off a good amount of heat. I doubt you would have success burning straight pellets without serious modification...burn pot, hopper, auger, change air inlets, add draft blower, etc. You could probably get away with throwing a couple handfulls in an established wood fire every now and then. Or if you were to buy or make something like the energex basket, you could probably burn a slightly larger amount.

If you are looking at this as a long term heating solution, it may be easier and cheaper in the long run to just swap out the wood burner for a pellet fired insert.

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.