Pellets not burning completely, piling up, making black soot. Any ideas why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm sorry for all the aggravation, but you are probably in good shape now. Stay warm!

Reactions: Chris_F
Thank you everyone. I'm sorry to take a long time to respond. Here's the short answer: all your advice was great and is really appreciated. The issue was in fact that the exhaust passages (and venting) were filthy and essentially totally plugged.

Inside the back of the stove has never been cleaned,unless you live in a chicken coop.The flue pipe did not come from 1 ton of pellets,unless you were burning animal bedding pellets.Sorry,had to throw a little humor in.I am surprised your convection blower did not burn up and die.9 hours to go through that stove and flue is way too long,but seems at least it was properly done.Stay warm.Oh,you can post the names of the companies,if you want,but lots only post the "good guys".

Last edited:
I disassemble and clean my stove once a year (4.5 tons of pellets)
and it an't even close to being that dirty ! Maybe now that you know how
can clean your own stove . That was the dirtiest stove I have ever seen
and I have bought serviced and refurbished many poorly serviced stoves
Glade to see you got it up and running properly