Pellets, Pellets everywhere...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O,Haras Rockland, ME

Wood pellets (Maine Woods, Maine Choice) $245.00 /ton

(barefoot) $255.00/ton

Envi Blocks $275.00/ton

Bio Brick $ 3.75 a pack of 12

Logik-e' Logs $4.75 a box of 10

Nite Logs $5.00 a pack of 4

Power Logs $2.75 a pack of 4

Super deal on last years pellets

Maine Woods $200.00 a ton

Little higher ash but for $200 a ton who can beat it.

www.gogreenwithoharas.com

BTU said:
newguyjoe said:
I saw the Inferno pellets for sale in Stew Leonards in Yonkers location for $9.99 per bag....not kidding

$500 a ton for Inferno pellets....Stop.... your killing me... I have tears running down my checks and my side hurts from laughing so hard.

I saw $8.49 per bag for appling counties at our little local grocer in old practical NH.
I almost puked.

I saw $219 a ton at Lowes in Lincoln Square Worcester, not sure what brand, they did have three different brands there and I didnt recognize the bags.

offjack said:
I just paid $215.50 ($222.04 tax) for a ton of Somersets at Menards in Big Rapids, Mi. ......

Michigan has sales tax on pellets?

My Brother in-law down in tennesee bought Black Beard hard wood Pellets for $209.00 at ton (pick up only)

My HD in Rosedale Md has Stove Chow and Bayou pellets for 249.00 a ton.....4.98 a bag........The Bayou's are garbage and the Stove Chow is decent in a pinch......

home depot in my area is selling bayous pellets and dropped price to 249.00 per ton.have plenty of them

Just stopped at HD today, and they have the big "buy more, save more" deal still going on. They had Pennington Instant heat(?), and Lignetics Pres-to-Logs.

Never burned the Pres-to-Logs, so I grabbed a couple bags to test burn...their a softwood/hardwood blend, so it should be interesting.

BTU said:
225 degrees and .93% ash according to Jay...probably not going to be your first choice in the middle of winter..but maybe will work for some in the shoulder season in a pinch..

Thanks BTU and Jay. Yep, that's kinda what I figured I'd do IF I ever bought any in quantity, but right now $$ is tight, so I'm just doing "testing" burns w/ different pellets in the 10-cpm for future reference.

macman said:
BTU said:
225 degrees and .93% ash according to Jay...probably not going to be your first choice in the middle of winter..but maybe will work for some in the shoulder season in a pinch..

Thanks BTU and Jay. Yep, that's kinda what I figured I'd do IF I ever bought any in quantity, but right now $$ is tight, so I'm just doing "testing" burns w/ different pellets in the 10-cpm for future reference.

macman let me know what ya think once you burn them?

BTU said:
macman said:
Just stopped at HD today, and they have the big "buy more, save more" deal still going on. They had Pennington Instant heat(?), and Lignetics Pres-to-Logs.

Never burned the Pres-to-Logs, so I grabbed a couple bags to test burn...their a softwood/hardwood blend, so it should be interesting.

What the heck are you talking about? Btu's don't lie. I don't like the fuzzy logic here. I have used Lignetics for several years. They are the original and well respected product, but don't take my word for it, and don't take an annectdotal test in someone's parlor. Take the word of the PFI fuel tests. What your stove's performance is, does not a product make. My stove works great with Ligs and losey with Energex. To attribute a low temp output is really bogus. Tweak the feed rate or turn down the combustion air and you can smolder the best. But don't ever take that for scientific.

For example. I can get 53 mpg in my 1 ton van fully loaded pulling my trailer fully loaded. You should buy it right? Well, what I won't tell you is I took the test over 15 miles all down hill on a brand new stretch of freeway, with a leed truck breaking up the wind. Now my brother's Camry is a piece of crap and only gets 7 miles to a gallon. Did the same road test in reverse and set the timing back three degrees and plugged half the air intake and had the brake half on and did it in first gear. Oh, but I was also going up hill.

Fair test? About like the evaluation of the pellets.

Oh, do any of you sell Ligs, or just the competition??????

Well, no bias and because Jay said it, it has to be right. I'd like to know the standards used and the method of measurement. Too much to ask?

For your information. The bagging of Lignetics from their Western Plant is done for name recognition. I don't think they have two lines for a different line just low enough to make a difference, but not low enough to make them less than premium. Then turn around and ship only the good ones to you worthy ones in the East and stick us Westies with the crap. If Jay wants to explain his methodology and if he adjusted the stove for optimum use with each product or left it the same, maybe we can get a real picture of the product comparison. Well, at least a better picture of his opinion. You tooting the horn only sounds like sour grapes to me.

Oh, and just so you know. I'm a dumb old woodworker who takes burning seriously and has 30 or 40 ton under my belt. But, I would never claim to know one better than the other. I have only spoken ill of one brand/label/manufacturer. They deserved it.

BTU,

You just don't get it do you? The difference is the bag. THE BAG. Same pellets, same plant same process line. They are not different, just different BAG.

I think Jay needs to defend himself, may not need to, but you are spreading an umtrue rumor. That's you not Jay.

I tried to compare it to a car and mpg. Apparently it didn't take. In the old days, cars with carburators could be adjusted. Rich, lean, just right. Was the just right setting used in the tests for all brands, sacks, labels, and so forth.

macman said:
offjack said:
I just paid $215.50 ($222.04 tax) for a ton of Somersets at Menards in Big Rapids, Mi. ......

Michigan has sales tax on pellets?
Up here in the U.P. I was charged the regular 6% state sales tax on pellets.... that doesn't figure right for the offjack purchase... if 6% was
supposedly charged. Anyway, electricity here is taxed at 4%, why aren't wood pellets taxed at the same rate or less? It seems that this state
has to work on taxes for biomass fuels........it's time to complain, again to the area rep. and senators.

BTU said:
littlesmokey said:
BTU,

You just don't get it do you? The difference is the bag. THE BAG. Same pellets, same plant same process line. They are not different, just different BAG.

I think Jay needs to defend himself, may not need to, but you are spreading an umtrue rumor. That's you not Jay.

I tried to compare it to a car and mpg. Apparently it didn't take. In the old days, cars with carburators could be adjusted. Rich, lean, just right. Was the just right setting used in the tests for all brands, sacks, labels, and so forth.
Since I don't "get it"...how do you explain a 25 degree temp difference and 100% more ash if they are the same pellet in a different bag? And why would Lignetics which has a great reputation just put their same pellet that commands a premium in the market, in a different bag that is sold at almost give away prices in the box stores if they are the very same pellet. Now since you are implying that Jay is tweaking with the results to fudge the outcome....well that is what I think you are saying...why would he do that?...He isn't even in the industry in anyway...so what would he have to gain....and why would someone go to all the trouble to round up over 20 different kinds of pellets and go to all this trouble just to jerk around with the results. Are you going to tell me he "Photo shopped" the pictures too and that is all smoke and mirrors?

Here is what I think Littlesmokey....Same company, two different fibers used to make two separate pellets, one a premium and one for the box stores so they can lower their quality on it, so it can be sold much cheaper, thus it can retail for a cheaper price and they can keep whatever mill that makes them up and running...Do I know this for a FACT?... NO, but that is my theory, which makes a hellva lot more sense than yours which is put the same product in a different bag, tap on it three times and make the heat go down and then double the ash content.

Heat levels don't just go up 11% and ash content rise 100% on the same product, burnt in the same stove on the same settings if they are the SAME pellet.....If this was in fact the same pellet, NO adjustments would be needed to get the same results.....but what the hell do I know, I personally only sell about 25,000 tons of these things a season.

This is a one liner: Bad Science. Faulty data. Poor test controls.

Put the "data" out as much as you can and someone will believe it.

It's your credibility that is in question now.

Jay may have done a great job, but I want him to tell me what that job was.

I know Lignetics did some heavy contracting last year and cut out some small shops to supply the BBB's (big box boys) but they have increased production and adjusted their distribution. Rail service from No. Idaho is real easy and cheap.

My last word to you is, tell everyone who listens how losey the product is and how inferior is burns and disregard the opinions of all who have posted they thought they are good pellets. Tell your friends and customers to stay away from them. Thus we in the West who value the Presto name can have an abundant supply of quality pellets. It might even force Bear Mountain to move East to me and I can get another excellent product.

Tomorrow when you look back on your rant this evening think, "I will never have to worry about any of the reasonable readers on the forum crossing the doorstep of my business."

The end of this.

littlesmokey said:
BTU said:
littlesmokey said:
BTU,

Since I don't "get it"...how do you explain a 25 degree temp difference and 100% more ash if they are the same pellet in a different bag? And why would Lignetics which has a great reputation just put their same pellet that commands a premium in the market, in a different bag that is sold at almost give away prices in the box stores if they are the very same pellet. Now since you are implying that Jay is tweaking with the results to fudge the outcome....well that is what I think you are saying...why would he do that?...He isn't even in the industry in anyway...so what would he have to gain....and why would someone go to all the trouble to round up over 20 different kinds of pellets and go to all this trouble just to jerk around with the results. Are you going to tell me he "Photo shopped" the pictures too and that is all smoke and mirrors?

Here is what I think Littlesmokey....Same company, two different fibers used to make two separate pellets, one a premium and one for the box stores so they can lower their quality on it, so it can be sold much cheaper, thus it can retail for a cheaper price and they can keep whatever mill that makes them up and running...Do I know this for a FACT?... NO, but that is my theory, which makes a hellva lot more sense than yours which is put the same product in a different bag, tap on it three times and make the heat go down and then double the ash content.

Heat levels don't just go up 11% and ash content rise 100% on the same product, burnt in the same stove on the same settings if they are the SAME pellet.....If this was in fact the same pellet, NO adjustments would be needed to get the same results.....but what the hell do I know, I personally only sell about 25,000 tons of these things a season.

This is a one liner: Bad Science. Faulty data. Poor test controls.

Put the "data" out as much as you can and someone will believe it.

It's your credibility that is in question now.

Jay may have done a great job, but I want him to tell me what that job was.

I know Lignetics did some heavy contracting last year and cut out some small shops to supply the BBB's (big box boys) but they have increased production and adjusted their distribution. Rail service from No. Idaho is real easy and cheap.

My last word to you is, tell everyone who listens how losey the product is and how inferior is burns and disregard the opinions of all who have posted they thought they are good pellets. Tell your friends and customers to stay away from them. Thus we in the West who value the Presto name can have an abundant supply of quality pellets. It might even force Bear Mountain to move East to me and I can get another excellent product.

Tomorrow when you look back on your rant this evening think, "I will never have to worry about any of the reasonable readers on the forum crossing the doorstep of my business."

The end of this.

Why do I need to defend myself?

Its all here in black and white.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

If you spend the time I tried to discribe everything as plain as day. Don't for get there are 2 Lignetic mills. One out your way and one east of the mississippi. Really littlesmokey, I do like the Lignetics product(burned them for years) . There are both the Hardwood lignetics and the Pres to logs. I tried to be honest and fair with every brand. No hidden anything. The numbers are what they are!

If you don't like what I did, Then do it yourself. Its all there.

Jay,

No need to defend yourself. Just asked about methodology and felt you could tell me better than anyone. Your black and white chart tells me nothing about your technique. Still didn't say if you adjusted your stove for different fuels. That's OK.

If you feel that the POL from Lignetics is inferior, no problem. I certainly would let my facts stand on their own and ignore the comments of others.

I have used the products from a variety of makers and find that there is no universal setting and that adjusting the settings can improve the performance of most, but not all fuels. Depending on the material used, the process, density of compaction and level of heat the pellets burn very different. I do not burn oak the same as lodgepole pine for the same quality of performance.

Gritty, black, heavy and excessive ash are a product of the combustion process. You can blame it on the pellet if you like, but I would think you can adjust ffor variables and either eliminate or reduce the poor performance. You can start off with the, "I really like it, BUT...." and mislead others into thinking your way. I just don't agree.

I suppose those of us who have been around pellet burners for over 20 years are all old fuddy-duddy's we don't know nothing. I didn't know, for example that Lignetics East Coast auxillary plant was in West Virginia, always heard it was in Virginia, but my geography ain't so good. And I also didn't know we only got the second rate products from them. The really good stuff was going back East 'cause they know better. Well, that's OK with me. I've had access to brands that you only wish you could burn for shear performance. They don't make enough even to ship out as far East as me. Now I have a local plant that is making some damn fine pellets and will never ship your way either. They are just too small an operation.
BTW, nice show and tell. Pictures and charts are well done. More details about your stove and the technique would help. If BTU likes the data for a slam campaign and you think it's right, so be it.

My part of the world we call that anecdotal information. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for me.

This thread has nothing to do with my testing. Might be better to discouse there. We are hi-jacking this one!

I adjust my stove same as you. As much air as possible. If you provide too much air, You only bounce them out of the burn pot. And send some of the heat up the vent.

All the pellets I burned are adjusted the same. With draft air. I leave the feed alone(same lbs/ hour). I am being as fair as I possibly can with all brands.

I just sent an email to Lignetics asking if they are in fact the same pellets as the hardwood ligs. See if they respond.

Are you 100% sure they are the same pellets? Do you work there?

I am only on my 11th burning season so maybe I am just a newb to you. But I have burned more than 45 tons myself!

Hey Jay dont let one Pellethead knock ya down. You have provided all the info you could and also a disclaimer but some people just dont get it. You are doing a great job on this and spending your hard earned $$$$$$ on this test. Should be fun to read the results but if they dont go the way someone wants them then you are biased. Keep up the great work I for one am enjoying the results. And BTU we love all your comments. :cheese:

now, let's get back on track.....what's the price today? :)

Gumby1 said:
Hey Jay dont let one Pellethead knock ya down. You have provided all the info you could and also a disclaimer but some people just dont get it. You are doing a great job on this and spending your hard earned $$$$$$ on this test. Should be fun to read the results but if they dont go the way someone wants them then you are biased. Keep up the great work I for one am enjoying the results. And BTU we love all your comments. :cheese:
x2

the Lowes in Wallingford, CT has the promo, if you buy 1 ton is $25 off, so 247-25=$222 per ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.