Pellets, Pellets everywhere...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW I opened this thread to read with interest because I too have noticed a "glut" of pellets on the market and prices are definitely falling.

If it keeps going down I will have a discussion with my landlord about storage....maybe buy a truckload of something and stick them in one of his spare garage spaces.

jtakeman said:
Sinbad said:
Hi guys new to the site, but have been reading for along time. Jay alot of your findings are based on your stove( year, model), and where you live. Valley ,mountain ,and most of all how you set your stove to each Brand, Plus time the brand was made. Just moving your damper, or feed can change your findings, The test you see from the Manufacture are done in perfect conditions, each stove will very. Bottom line it is still up to how you burn and how your own stove will burn that brand.

Go to my post and read the disclaimer! I never said my word was LAW!

One more crack and I'm done with this!

Jay, try to ignore those negative posts understanding the vast majority of us appreciate your efforts. I haven't seen this kind of comparison done anywhere else. In my opinion the fuels compared to each other should have "similar" results for everyone as long as everything else (stove brand, where you live, elevation, OAK, etc. etc.) remains consistent. While individual results may vary as compared to yours, comparisons per person should be quite relative really, at least in an unscientific setting, and it's better information than we had before.
Thanks for taking your time and effort to contribute.
Mike -

"Non illegitimi carborundum"

oh yea, saw pres-to-logs at K-Mart for $6.25 I did buy a bag to try. And Pice Chopper in Poughkeepsie has Infernos as Macman had said. Didn't buy any.... Jay said they don't warrant purchase..

schoondog said:
oh yea, saw pres-to-logs at K-Mart for $6.25 I did buy a bag to try. And Pice Chopper in Poughkeepsie has Infernos as Macman had said. Didn't buy any.... Jay said they don't warrant purchase..

$6.25 is a bit pricey But the pres to logs are worth a try.

Inferno's = Yuk! Hey if you don't mind being cold and got a super duper ash vac. Heck give them a try. I am sure we will have one more member ranting there superior awfulness.

kevinwburke said:
HD in Central Ma just dropped price by $20 to $249....but with a $69 delivery fee

If that's a good price for you, you'd be better off doing a day rent on a U-Haul and buy your buddies the beers. That way you get them stacked the way you want. Trucks here are $20/day + mileage. Did a delivery for a friend of a dining set and couch from a high end furniture store in one. My truck was not available. Hated driving the POC, but it was two hours door to door.

kevinwburke said:
HD in Central Ma just dropped price by $20 to $249....but with a $69 delivery fee

Please note that that $69 is for as much as you buy of anything at one shot, so if you buy 5 tons, they cost you under $14/ton for delivery, and you don't have to touch or lift anything until you decide to stack them in your basement, etc.

With the "buy more, save more" deal, if you buy 5 tons, you'd get pellets at $209/ton + $14 = $223/ton DELIVERED to your door.

I just posted a review of the Pres-to-logs that HD has on sale, and I'd do that deal in a heartbeat if I needed pellets right now.

macman said:
kevinwburke said:

Please note that that $69 is for as much as you buy of anything at one shot, so if you buy 5 tons, they cost you under $14/ton for delivery, and you don't have to touch or lift anything until you decide to stack them in your basement, etc.

With the "buy more, save more" deal, if you buy 5 tons, you'd get pellets at $209/ton + $14 = $223/ton DELIVERED to your door.

I just posted a review of the Pres-to-logs that HD has on sale, and I'd do that deal in a heartbeat if I needed pellets right now.

Where's the review, I think there are a few who may be interested in YOUR opinion, too.

For me, planning on burning more wood this year (new stove) and onlly use the pellets when it is really cold or at night, so I only need a ton....or maybe two this year. Unless of course oil spikes but right now it is not worth it to me at these prices.

man i feel real selfish....i got pellets for 160.00 a ton.....hmmm GO ME!!!! woohooo!!!

Fireinnthehole, sorry it took so long to reply, but I just bought another ton of somersets at menards for the same price of $213.50 plus 4% sales tax which comes to $222.04. Must be wood pellets are in the same class as electricity in Michigan.

offjack said:
Fireinnthehole, sorry it took so long to reply, but I just bought another ton of somersets at menards for the same price of $213.50 plus 4% sales tax which comes to $222.04. Must be wood pellets are in the same class as electricity in Michigan.

Yet another addition as to why I left a state that should be doing much better than it currently is...When is Granholm going back to Canada, eh?

Hot_h20, this is her last year, thank God! Look out Canada, she's probably coming home to you. Hold on to your wallet, and your property, she wants it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.