Pellets Used So Far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
9 bags into the hopper, it's full now, so probably burned 5

Hoss, you forgot to add the most important item in your signature...Pellet Pig!!! :lol:

23 bags so far running 24/7 temp at 74 on englanders 55-shp-22L
NO OIL Yet but thinking of getting to run oil since it is at $2.38 US a Gallon.
PA

heat boy!!! said:
PA

Are you going to BUY oil at that price just to burn it, or are you talking about the oil in your tank now?

macman said:
heat boy!!! said:
PA

Are you going to BUY oil at that price just to burn it, or are you talking about the oil in your tank now?

going to buy to burn and heve it in case of emergency at 2.38 a gallon not bad

Well, based on the $2.38/ gal oil price, if you paid more than $290/ton for your pellets, then oil probably would be cheaper to burn. If the pellets were cheaper than that, then the pellets are still cheaper to burn. (based on Pellet Fuel Institute calculator)

macman said:
Well, based on the $2.38/ gal oil price, if you paid more than $290/ton for your pellets, then oil probably would be cheaper to burn. If the pellets were cheaper than that, then the pellets are still cheaper to burn. (based on Pellet Fuel Institute calculator)

thankx for the info I will buy oil just to have as an emergency just in case.

Ok macman..
Fess up! How much pellets did you go through so far? ;-)

Good side of keeping track of pellet usage is knowing roughly
how much will be needed for the following year.....BUT....

Bad side is...when I start seeing the wall behind the pellet pile again,
I start thinking hmmm I must need more.....SNORT

Attachments

• pig_crying.gif
    pig_crying.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 454
tinkabranc said:
Ok macman..
Fess up! How much pellets did you go through so far? ;-)

Good side of keeping track of pellet usage is knowing roughly
how much will be needed for the following year.....BUT....

Bad side is...when I start seeing the wall behind the pellet pile again,
I start thinking hmmm I must need more.....SNORT

23 40 pound bags so far 24/7 at 73-74 degree

macman said:
Hoss, you forgot to add the most important item in your signature...Pellet Pig!!! :lol:

As mentioned in another thread, I refuse to join any organization that would lower it's standards enough to accept me as a member.

schmeg said:
18-20 or so in Bangor Maine. Got cold early this year. Gave me a chance to tweak my new Glow Boy insert.

Wow, schmeg, I'm 18 miles away, I'll admit it's to the south, but ya sure must like it hot there.

What exactly constitutes someone as a "pellet pig"? I have 5 tons (minus 14 bags) in the cellar which I figure I'll burn almost all of them this season. If I were to buy them by the ton as needed, the delivery cost(s) per ton would be sky high and delivery or availability is not guaranteed, so that's not even an option. Even if oil drops lower, I think I'll be running the XXV full time anyway (love the heat, the sights and, yes even the sounds). Even though I sometimes look, feel and (always) drink like I pig, I think I did the right thing buying the 5 tons of Clean Fire... And I really don't want to put the 5 Tons of Cleanfire in my signature... I would have to update it every day (5T minus 15 and counting)... sorry for the slightly off-topic post.

kinsman stoves said:
Just a suggestion and can be voted for at the next meeting. I think we will adopt a voting policy such as the nextel fireman's commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6DORwBzuA

Just so we got the requirements down in writing. Feel free to add or comment on the minimum requirements

Must have
1.) Must have over 3 tons of pellets on hand prior to the first frost of the year.

Must have two of the following three

a.) At least one pellet stove, two stoves will get you a gold star on your membership card
b.) Have at least 3 additional tons by the first frost will get you a silver star on membership card
c.) "cash and carry" your pellets. True pigs drive gas hog trucks and can move their own pellets and this will get you a bronze star on your membership card

Thanks for your support
Eric

DOBS you're in!

welcome newbies! ;-)

4 or 5 bags way up here in the way far North. We keep the curtains open during the day to heat the place up as much as possible with what we can get from passive solar. It works pretty well until it starts getting down to 20F during the night. A little electric blanket action during the night helps a lot. The big difference I swear is getting the clan used to putting some clothes on instead of raising the stat. 70 is a distant memory unless you are parked in the same room as the stove.

Acording to my data base
28 bags total

started Oct/01/08
avg temp 49.1F
23 bags
.07 bag/day

Nov
avg temp 43.1F
5 bags
1.0 bag/day

24/7 running @ room temp auto 72 degrees 2600sf 2 story, sole source of heat.

75 miles north of NYC

We live in South central Wisconsin so far 24 bags, still have 4 tons left, its nice knowing in August that you have your winter fuel bill already paid for.

about 17 bags here in the poconos, PA, but some it was cause this the first year with the stove, and wound up playing "look at the pretty flames" and I wonder what this button does......

pakrazee said:
.....but some it was cause this the first year with the stove, and wound up playing "look at the pretty flames" and I wonder what this button does......
Too funny :lol: But I know what you mean!

35 bags used here above the border, first 10 were just goofing around doing the pretty flame thing as well.

macman said:
pakrazee said:
.....but some it was cause this the first year with the stove, and wound up playing "look at the pretty flames" and I wonder what this button does......
Too funny :lol: But I know what you mean!

I watch the flame more than TV now LOL.

RingOfFire said:
30 / 40lb. bags or 1,200 pounds or 1/2 ton + 200lbs. However you see fit

How about in metric for our neighbors to the north?

6 bags here in waterbury, ct.

For some reason, Waterbury is one of the colder places in ct. Not always but quite often.

One bag was my fault, though! Twice I fell asleep with the pellet stove going & it eat through 1/2 a bag of pellets for the night, even on the lowest setting because it is a 46,000 btu large pellet heater which I use to heat 1800 sq ft.

Those nights that i fell asleep with the pellet stove on,I slept like a baby, nice & warm & roasty toasty.

Now , I keep the hopper with only 1/5 of a bag in it, so if I fall asleep, it wont eat more than 1/5th bag.

"You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselves". eernest4 grand pooba of the pellet pigs club!"
Now, How did that happen to me, I wonder??
Seems I got nominated! he-he

I admit I was kinda steamed up about 3 weeks ago , not being able to buy pellets any place & being told if or when we ever get pellets again & first come ,first served. It didn't look like I was going to ever be able to buy pellets for the winter.

Home depot finally got a shipment in 3 weeks late & i just happened to be at the store when the truck pulled in at 10 am , so I bought the first ton off the truck. They were completly sold out,all 22 tons by 6 pm.

All I had was a honda civic hatchback but I was able to make 2 trips of 25 bags per trip, so while I spent all day loading & unloading 1 bag at a time, every thing worked out in the end & I saved the 60.oo delevery charge and only used 6.oo worth of gas to do it.

Still ,it cost me $300.oo a ton

I got 10 bags left over from last winter's ton & the 50 bags I just bought for this year.
Got 4 cords of well seasoned splits in the wood shed with my secondary burn wood stove in the basement for primary heat.The wood cost me $150.oo in transportation charges but I got the actual wood itself, for free.

The pellet stove is just for those nights that I am too beat to start a wood fire & watch it for an hour until it settles down and burns right & I also use the pellet stove for those cold mornings when the wood stove goes out in the middle of the night & i get up walking into walls until sometime after the third cup of coffee.

I do truely love just pushing the "on" button & sometimes I fall asleep in front of the pellet stove watching the pretty flames.

My secondary burn wood stove has a solid steel door, so I can't watch the flames on it, so I never fell asleep in front of it, even though it throws 4 times the heat of the pellet stove.

The wood stove is huge, 2 ft high x 2 ft wide x 3 ft deep firebox which steps up another foot
in back after the first 18 inches, so that in back it is 2 ft wide x 3ft high.

I converted my old time overnighter front loading wood stove to secondary burn at the begining of last winter & dropped my wood usage from 8 to 12 cords per winter down to 4 cords per winter & a good thing too because free wood is getting really hard to come by.

well oink ,oink youall!!

PS: Teamorange in road island is the most efficient pellet burner using only 3 bags of pellets so far this year.

Congratulations, Team Orange

eernest4 said:
6 bags here in waterbury, ct.

For some reason, Waterbury is one of the colder places in ct. Not always but quite often.

One bag was my fault, though! Twice I fell asleep with the pellet stove going & it eat through 1/2 a bag of pellets for the night, even on the lowest setting because it is a 46,000 btu large pellet heater which I use to heat 1800 sq ft.

Those nights that i fell asleep with the pellet stove on,I slept like a baby, nice & warm & roasty toasty.

Now , I keep the hopper with only 1/5 of a bag in it, so if I fall asleep, it wont eat more than 1/5th bag.

"You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselves". eernest4 grand pooba of the pellet pigs club!"
Now, How did that happen to me, I wonder??
Seems I got nominated! he-he

I admit I was kinda steamed up about 3 weeks ago , not being able to buy pellets any place & being told if or when we ever get pellets again & first come ,first served. It didn't look like I was going to ever be able to buy pellets for the winter.

Home depot finally got a shipment in 3 weeks late & i just happened to be at the store when the truck pulled in at 10 am , so I bought the first ton off the truck. They were completly sold out,all 22 tons by 6 pm.

All I had was a honda civic hatchback but I was able to make 2 trips of 25 bags per trip, so while I spent all day loading & unloading 1 bag at a time, every thing worked out in the end & I saved the 60.oo delevery charge and only used 6.oo worth of gas to do it.

Still ,it cost me $300.oo a ton

I got 10 bags left over from last winter's ton & the 50 bags I just bought for this year.
Got 4 cords of well seasoned splits in the wood shed with my secondary burn wood stove in the basement for primary heat.The wood cost me $150.oo in transportation charges but I got the actual wood itself, for free.

The pellet stove is just for those nights that I am too beat to start a wood fire & watch it for an hour until it settles down and burns right & I also use the pellet stove for those cold mornings when the wood stove goes out in the middle of the night & i get up walking into walls until sometime after the third cup of coffee.

I do truely love just pushing the "on" button & sometimes I fall asleep in front of the pellet stove watching the pretty flames.

My secondary burn wood stove has a solid steel door, so I can't watch the flames on it, so I never fell asleep in front of it, even though it throws 4 times the heat of the pellet stove.

The wood stove is huge, 2 ft high x 2 ft wide x 3 ft deep firebox which steps up another foot
in back after the first 18 inches, so that in back it is 2 ft wide x 3ft high.

I converted my old time overnighter front loading wood stove to secondary burn at the begining of last winter & dropped my wood usage from 8 to 12 cords per winter down to 4 cords per winter & a good thing too because free wood is getting really hard to come by.

well oink ,oink youall!!

PS: Teamorange in road island is the most efficient pellet burner using only 3 bags of pellets so far this year.

Congratulations, Team Orange

How do you convert and old front loader to secondary burn? Do you mean you replaced it with a newer design that gets a secondary burn from the smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.