PelletVent Pro install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

articcatbill

Sep 4, 2016
central pa
Hi all, I am getting ready to install a Thelin Parlour 3000 at our camp tomorrow. I bought the Duravent PelletVent Pro pipe. Do I need to seal the joints with high temp silicone? and if so where do I apply it to the inside or outside of the male end? I have read the PelletPro install manual and it says:

Seal the inner liner overlap at the male end of pipe for best results

It references an image, but it really isn't much help either, I watch several home made DYI videos and they just ran some sealant on the outside of the male end but I didn't know if that was correct or not.

I am also using an adjustable section which seems that I just fit it over the other section (it must be sealed) and secure with 3 screws. Any advice on that?

I picked the Thelin because of the 12v capability and I got a great priced used, I hope to eventually build a 12v off-grid system to run it in the evenings when we are not using the generator.

Oops, while reading looking for my answer I find that there is a difference between PelletVent Pro pipe and PelletVent pipe.

I have PelletVent pipe, I do not have PelletVent pro pipe. The PelletVent pipe says:

500 RTV Sealant may be required at all vent joints. Apply to inner female socket. Refer to Appliance manufacturer for further detail.

Sorry I tried but couldn't change the title of my initial post, so thought the best way to correct my issue was with a reply.

Another question, if i seal these with high temp RTV can I get them apart later if need be?

Last edited:
The short answer YES
But it ain't easy
Difficult at the best of times
I use metal tape and paint to match

Reactions: articcatbill
I got the install done yesterday, all went well, I only got a bit of smoke at start-up off of the factory joint on the adjustable pipe section, so I taped it and it worked fine. I did not use black pipe since it was just camp it saved me some money. Might paint it later, but probably not. Everything worked fine, we will run it this winter when using the generator, hoping to then put together a 12v system next summer to run the stove when not using the generator. We typically run the generator each evening so I just need to get through <24 hours.

Johneh, thanks for the suggestion, I just taped the top horizontal section since I will likely need to remove that for cleaning etc later. I also taped the bottom clean-out. All other joints I applied high temp RTV.

I attached a few pictures.
BurningCampStove.jpg FrontCampStove.jpg SideCampStove.jpg

Reactions: vinny11950