PelletVent Pro: can I achieve a 10-inch straight section?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jul 16, 2018
Virginia USA
Hi all,
  1. Using the PelletVent Pro product line, can I achieve a 10-inch long straight section? I'm installing a Harman Accentra 2, and the combination of the angles to exhaust it leaves me in need of a 10-inch straight section. The 3-inch dia. PelletVent Pro catalog shows a 6-inch straight section and a 12-inch straight section, but nothing in between.
  2. Related to the above but a separate question, can I cut the PelletVent Pro extension? I'm guessing the answer is 'no' but thought I'd see what folks have to say. In particular, can I use a 6-inch pipe (3PVP-06) and an extension (3PVP-12A), and cut the extension shorter? It is my understanding that the extension has a minimum extension of 3 inches, but of course it would completely cover the 6-inch pipe if I connected them together with the extension at its shortest. I've looked closely at on-line images of the extension and it looks like the gasket (o-ring) is near the end of the extension, so it appears that cutting the extension shorter would also cut off the gasket portion.
Thanks for any input!
-Jay

What is the layout of the stove and wall that you're trying to go through? A picture or diagram would help.

You want to try your hardest to limit the number of elbows you need to make, so possibly consider elevating the stove, or changing where you're going through the wall.

There is an 18 inch adjustable, which allows you to slide another pipe inside the 18 inch length, but that doesn't sound like it'll help.

What is the layout of the stove and wall that you're trying to go through? A picture or diagram would help.

You want to try your hardest to limit the number of elbows you need to make, so possibly consider elevating the stove, or changing where you're going through the wall.

There is an 18 inch adjustable, which allows you to slide another pipe inside the 18 inch length, but that doesn't sound like it'll help.
The EVL worst case for this installation is 13, which is well below the 20 max that's specified.

I can move the stove to use a 12-inch straight section but it puts the stove in a less desirable position.

It seems odd to me that I have no choices between 6-inch and 12-inch straight sections, but apparently that's the case. I've yet to find any on-line resource or Hearth.com post that indicates that a 10-inch straight section can be achieved. That's weird to me, because I've done a lot of equipment installations, residential and commercial, of other types of equipment and have never had the equipment location be dictated by the service attachments/exhaust/etc.

Some photos of your layout or a dig. would be helpful
so we can see what you are trying to accomplish .
No, you can not cut the pellet vent pipe because you would cut the attachment and seal off

Reactions: tbear853
The Pellet Vent Pro line has a 12" adjustable which covers from 4" to 10", but I assume that will not work for you due to not having the overlap required at that end because it attaches to an elbow (maybe)?

The Pellet Vent Pro line has a 12" adjustable which covers from 4" to 10", but I assume that will not work for you due to not having the overlap required at that end because it attaches to an elbow (maybe)?
I'm going to post a follow-up with more detail in this thread below, but yes, what you've described appears to be a good possibility.

Hi all,

I was able to get in touch with a person at Duravent who provided two suggestions for achieving a 10-inch straight section:
  1. Relating to the suggestion by @lowcostheat above, Duravent says that a connection of 90-degree elbow (3PVP-E90) to a six-inch straight section (3PVP-06) would likely provide enough combined length for the extension (3PVP-12A) to slide down (i.e. with the extension's tail covering the entire six-inch straight section and a portion of the 90-degree elbow.
  2. Duravent also pointed out that the actual combined length of two six-inch straight section is ten and one-half inches.
Thanks for your input. I've got the info that I need!
-Jay