Pennington - no problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
imacman said:
Welcome back Gweeper.

As far as those pellets you mentioned above, if you can get the Barefoots at anywhere near a decent price (compared to the others), don't even think about the others....the Barefoots are a VERY good pellet.

Thanks, mac.

The local dealer near me who I was planning on ordering from has Barefoots for $272 but he also has Maine Woods for $239 right now. That is why I wanted to try Maine Woods. I picked up the Nature's Heat and Freedom Fuel to try just for kicks.

Gweeper64 said:
The local dealer near me who I was planning on ordering from has Barefoots for $272.....

That is very high, even for Barefoots these days.

imacman said:
Gweeper64 said:
The local dealer near me who I was planning on ordering from has Barefoots for $272.....

That is very high, even for Barefoots these days.

Unfortunately, $260-$270/ton seems to be the price range for the upper end brands in my area that I have found so far.

I burned Okies last season as some might remember. They burned really hot as most people say, but the pallets I got were really, really dusty and my wife ended up having a lot of problems with her asthma because of it. I'm looking at hardwoods again for this season.

Pennington nature heat in my area, HD, $220 a ton and not moving to well. First price down, then up, now down.

Tailrace said:
Home Depot has Stove Chow :sick: for $219. I tried a bag of those just to see....omg they were just as bad if not worse than the Appling County pellets I tried 2 years ago. I ended up buying 2 tons of Energex @ $235 a ton to get me started for this season and I'm very pleased with them. Time to burn!

Depending on which Energex you purchased, As Energex bags the Stove Chow brand. They might be the same pellet as the Energex American(Eagle on the bag). Energex also bags the Premier brand that TSC is selling. Energex American got some sad tales from the forum members and the Premiers got decent reviews. Energex Canadian(green bag) and the Juniata brands seem to be there flagship brands(best quality).

I am burning the Stove Chow for my review. Heat seems OK, But the ash might be another story.

My local feed and seed place has the Pennington Oak pellets for $175 per ton and $3.99 per bag. The guy at the loading dock said they had 100 tons of Pennington on the lot.

I bought 25 bags to test in my stove. I cleaned out the fire box, burn pot, and ran the existing pellets down. I'll burn these and compare to the Hammers which I still have 25 bags of Hammer Hot Ones from my initial ton.

The bag date is 12/15/2008 (2 years ago). Not sure if that is the date of the bag or date the pellets were produced.

Most of the box stores were pretty expensive with Wal-Mart having Pennington Natures Heat for $5.00 per bag. The prices still seem high in West Virginia compared to other prices I see posted.

Interesting note, the Pennington Oak Pellets say they are "Premium" pellets but nowhere on the bag does it say PFI grade 1. Also, the bags do not have a recycle code on them like the Hammer's.

Winslow2010 said:
My local feed and seed place has the Pennington Oak pellets for $175 per ton and $3.99 per bag. The guy at the loading dock said they had 100 tons of Pennington on the lot.

I bought 25 bags to test in my stove. I cleaned out the fire box, burn pot, and ran the existing pellets down. I'll burn these and compare to the Hammers which I still have 25 bags of Hammer Hot Ones from my initial ton.

The bag date is 12/15/2008 (2 years ago). Not sure if that is the date of the bag or date the pellets were produced.

Most of the box stores were pretty expensive with Wal-Mart having Pennington Natures Heat for $5.00 per bag. The prices still seem high in West Virginia compared to other prices I see posted.

Interesting note, the Pennington Oak Pellets say they are "Premium" pellets but nowhere on the bag does it say PFI grade 1. Also, the bags do not have a recycle code on them like the Hammer's.
Keep us posted on how they burn for you.

Pennington Oak Pellets

I cleaned out the stove and I have been burning the Pennington Oak pellets for 24+ hours. Here are my observations.

1) They do have slightly more ashes than the Hammer Hot Ones
2) They have noticeably LESS "clinkers" in the burn pot than the Hammers.
3) The individual pellets are much longer than the Hammer Hot Ones. I think the "fines", as you guys call them, make my feeder clunk periodically. It has been quieter with the Pennington Oaks.

In general, they burn fine in my Lennox Winslow Insert and I'll be buying more to get me through this long winter! I still like the Hammer Hot Ones but the quality wasn't noticeably better.

I paid $4 per bag (by the ton) for the Hammers and $3.99 by the bag for the Pennington Oak (or $175 if I buy a ton).

Status
Not open for further replies.