pf100, I may have cleaned something I should not have

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
Just above the burn pot and below the air intake, there is a gap that was filled with what appeared to be crud/ash. As I was scraping it, it didn't look like normal caked up ash.

Now I stopped 1/2 way through but don't know if this is affecting the sir flow over the pellets in the burn pot.

I will get a picture as soon as it's done with the heat up for the house. Anyone know about this area and if that ares is nto to be cleaned out?

Sounds like you are describing the Flame Guide Insulator (Part# 3-44-35263) This is a white brittle material that is sandwiched between the Cast Metal Flame Guide and the air stream chamber that blows the air past the flame. This is very important to help insulate the air stream chamber from the extreme heat of the burn pot.

yes, that describes what I was scraping 100%. I noticed as well that I had the unit on auto start, it has been on manual the whole time since I installed it. I had smoke in the plenum and wonder it it was due to the auto start or that scraping. I can't imagine that it was related.

I guess it's time to order my first part and learn how to insert it.

Thanks much....

Hi , have you replaced that part yet ? After you scraped it off did you have approx an 1/4" gap in between the burnpot and the flameguide ?

thanks for help

I have not replaced it yet. I need to and it's about $50 for the part. All seems fine and I have been burning since without issue. I doo see a litle difference in the burn pattern but okay over all

Status
Not open for further replies.