Photos too large error

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Any time I try to upload a photo from any remotely-new iPhone, I get a "photo too large" error. Is it not possible to either enlarge the threshold photo size, or have the forum just scale down too-large photos when uploading? It seems the max size was set back when phones had much lower-megapixel cameras, and never updated to reflect modern tech.

You have to select options on the photo you upload and change it to large and not full size. That’s what I learned

You have to select options on the photo you upload and change it to large and not full size. That’s what I learned
It does resize them after the upload.
IMG_9644.png

That's cool. But I don't think that's an option when uploading from PC.

Reactions: stoveliker
Not to be an *ss, but while this is a valid annoyance working from cell phones, I think it highlights the somewhat ridiculous megapixel race that phone cameras have gone through the last decade.

There is no need for most pics to be larger than 5 megapixels. Unless one wants to print larger than Letter format.
It is good to have many pixels for those who can't properly do photography (allowing them to have software correct, focus, whatever, the picture by binning pixels - though here I do think the night time pics where intensity is incoherently added from binned pixels is the one good capability), but for general vacation pics or (even more) general informative pics such as those uploaded to a website like this there is just no need (as in necessary to improve functionality) to have that many pixels/megabytes.

So your phone can do things wholly unnecessary most of the time :)
(But we all knew that...)
(Showing my thinning grey hair much...?)

Any time I try to upload a photo from any remotely-new iPhone, I get a "photo too large" error. Is it not possible to either enlarge the threshold photo size, or have the forum just scale down too-large photos when uploading? It seems the max size was set back when phones had much lower-megapixel cameras, and never updated to reflect modern tech.
Can you please try again? You have too many megapixels set up in the camera and we had the image limit set to 1600x1600 pixels.

Okay, so now it allows attachment of image, but not insertion into the message. Getting closer!

There is no need for most pics to be larger than 5 megapixels. Unless one wants to print larger than Letter format.
I couldn't disagree more. While it's true that maybe 90% of the images I take could be totally satisfactory at a much lower pixel count, there are always some small fraction where I wish I had even higher resolution.

The most common example is anytime the object is farther than can be captured with optical zoom alone, and you end up zooming into the resolution range. If you've ever had a kid play soccer or football, or photo'd or video'd your kid on stage from the back of an auditorium, you know this problem well. Other times, you just need the resolution for detail, such as last week when I was judging posters for a science fair. I didn't have time to fully evaluate live, so I photo'd each one, and was able to just barely read the full text on each poster from my desk at home, after the fair. That couldn't have been done with any older phone.

Of course, the digitally-zoomed photos generate smaller file sizes with fewer pixel counts, but not the latter case of reading small text from a large image.

You nailed it: we disagree.
And that's fine :cool:

In order to do that you've to insert the images through this function:
View attachment 324663
Interesting. I usually use "Attach files" and then insert as a thumbnail, since some of the mod's really dislike full scale inline images, but that's the method that isn't working with larger image files.

Using your method, it appears there's no way to insert as thumbnail, it always lands in the message as a full-screen inline image. Got a trick for that?

I had a similar issue on this site
iphone12 photos are 300ppi; iphone10 being 72ppi

What I always use is GIMP to edit images before uploading. It does take some teething to learn what to hoops to jump thru

Then I prefer to upload to flickr and link to the BBC code from flickr. You do need to know which part of the embed code to copy/paste to avoid the automated text in the BBC code syntax.

@begreen told me no need to use flickr to host...So I did upload directly after crop, resize and adjust ppi

What I always use is GIMP to edit images before uploading. It does take some teething to learn what to hoops to jump thru
This is just a pure laziness / convenience thing. Why manually resize photos, when we have these nice big computers running expensive forum software, to do it for us? I don't want to resize originals, nor deal with making and managing copies to resize, so I usually just delete the posting when I find the associated pictures won't upload. ;lol

Reactions: ctreitzell
This is just a pure laziness / convenience thing. Why manually resize photos, when we have these nice big computers running expensive forum software, to do it for us?
The new version of this forum software will resize images automatically so it's just a matter of time. It will be released this year.

Interesting. I usually use "Attach files" and then insert as a thumbnail, since some of the mod's really dislike full scale inline images, but that's the method that isn't working with larger image files.
I've installed a new addon, the image will be inserted as a thumbnail once you post.

No worries. :cool: Cool if you can get it working, but I'm totally thrilled we can just upload, even if it's a link instead of a thumbnail. The gripe was only about inability to upload, nothing else.

Reactions: ctreitzell
yup, there is something wrong here. I'm troubleshooting
Photos I have included in recent posts using the 'Attach files' button display super large. This is different than in the past when they were a smaller size. Those photos could be clicked on and they would enlarge. I am posting from a desktop. is this standard now?

Reactions: stoveliker
Photos I have included in recent posts using the 'Attach files' button display super large. This is different than in the past when they were a smaller size. Those photos could be clicked on and they would enlarge. I am posting from a desktop. is this standard now?
Notice there's an icon below the post edit box, for each photo. Delete the inline photo from the post edit box, then click on that icon and select the option to insert it as a thumbnail.

hmmmmm. Thank you ..but .. I do not see any type of edit box in my posting from yesterday. Wood Shed----Hickory Help. I thought I would change the photo size. Is the post edit box only available for a limited period of time after posting?

They changed the forum software awhile back, to only allow a very short time to edit posts. I think it's something like 30 or 60 minutes, after which it's set in stone.

Reactions: Woodcutter Tom