Piazetta sabrina changing cleaning grate time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ravippe

Mar 12, 2018
New Hampshire
My problem is pretty simple I noticed after 30 hours or so the pot can get a little spongy , using doug fir pellets. And that usually means a little bit of a lazy flame. After the quick clean its awsome.again. Not a huge issue I clean it out daily and twice a week the back just because I'm a neat freak. Is there any way I can adjust the parameters of cleaning grate time on my sabrina without the use of a boot loader. I dont have one. My stove is from 2017. I have oak installed and I feel cool air coming into.the pot when the stove is off. Works really nice. I wanna try to run my stove 48 hours and have a burn like.the first 15 hours after cleaning.

So I was reading alot of forums, and I think this is still correct info. But do you basically press the 6 button for like 4 seconds and then go to parameters, when it says ENTER CODE, you put E9 ? Seems like that what people are using and it works.

I have a 2017 Sabrina. I wanted to increase the Grate cleaning times, and intervals. So maybe 60 seconds cleaning, and every 30 min grate cleaning, something like that. Does this sound right? I dont need a boot loader? Thats great news. I might make a youtube video on how to do it because literally i have been on this forum for YEARS and i never understood how to do this. I read Pascal's threads like 50 times... I cant believe this info is sooo hard to find. I guess im stupid.

I found the solution I have changed the settings on my stove and noticed the stoves grate is running much much cleaner now that the cycles are changed. I've attached a YouTube video of how to change settings

Im at the 30 hour mark, and the stove literally is perfect, it burns like i just cleaned it. The ash build up or spongy stuff that slowly rises and causes a weak flame is no more. I ran it all night and im even gonna hit the bed, and let it burn another 12 hours see in the morning how it looks. That will be about 40-48 hours. Even then, i might not even clean it. We will see. I mean eventually I will, just saying. I can get a few bags out of it before cleaning is AWSOME! Thank you Pascal Martins! Your chart and technique to change the grate cleaning times was awsome. I think that everyone that owns a Sabrina should turn their times down on Grate cleaning and Grate duration. If you think about it, 45 min vs 30 min might not seem like alot, or 20 seconds vs 30 second cleaning time intervals might seem like "who cares" but im telling you its a HUGE difference. My place even feels 3 to 4 degrees warmer because the fire is burning so efficiently like a jet engine lol.

I also monitor it using my camera so when im away i check the flame and its solid. ice and hot in the center. flames are flickering quickly. Occasionally you get the popper now and then showing the fire is nice and hot. I mean dont get me wrong, the glass will still show that typical V, i mean anyone with a Sabrina will know what im talking about. But you can tell the back of the stove, where the plate is is nice and white, looks like im getting a clean burn. A little Soot on the side, but very little. Its not a miracle solution, Its a pellet stove guys, the thing is burning wood after all Ahahah.

Golly after running my stove for 2 years the normal way... eheehhe PLEASE PLEASE follow these instructions. I also turned the alarm to 90 seconds. So you can open the hopper lid, pour your pellets in while the stove is on, and have more time. I think one time i let 60 seconds go off, when i first purchased the stove, and it beeped, alarmed, and gave messages to me. I was like.... WTF. Then i realized its a safety thing. So lame. My Dealer told me thats because it was open too long. I then realized to be quick, never a problem since. But i dont like rushing 60 seconds is way to short, so i changed it to 90.

I may or may not adjust the fan RPM speeds. Right now i think the safe thing to do is, just let it be. If it aint broke dont fix it. I think Pascal would agree, make small changes, test, see, and then if you need to adjust some more. Try not to do too much at once, cause its hard to diagnose what works and what doesn't.

4th day ran it 48 hours no cleaning same result, nice hot flame. Good burn. The spongy stuff is staying away preventing those build ups that give you a lazy flame

I am reporting a while Later to say that the grate cleaning times made a huge improvement. I tried also to increase the rpm of my sabrina on P1 power level 1 I think its p18 in the settings ... to 2100 or 2050 I cant remember ...rpm . I think the default is 1850. I have noticed the pot is very clean looking and the pellets hover at or around the hole where the ignitor starts it up. This was after 24 hours running. This means that the pellets are burning more efficiently and not piling up allowing more cool air to come into the holes below the pot from my outside air kit. So increase the grate cleaning time and the rpm of power level 1 is very good. Remember when your power level is set to p3 or higher once it reaches the desired temp , it will operate in P1 even though the screen will say P3 .... it will just say P3 OK instead. This is why it's good to increase P1 rpm because my stove operates most of the time on that mode, so why on earth would I want a rpm that is too low.

Picture of the pot.. notice the hole and the pellets burning nice and hot. Flame is very nice and not lazy at all.

Attachments

• 20200213_010332.jpg
    20200213_010332.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 117
Wondering if anyone has any insight or experience with their Piazetta Sabrina pellet stove being triggered into “cleaning grate” mode when you lift the hopper cover to fill while running? This has never been an issue for us before…it is happening more and more frequently. The stove goes through cleaning grate mode but then is unable to relight so begins chirping. We shut it down, check burn pot which is clear and then restart. It’s been a challenge finding a tech in our area (Portland, ME) that really knows this stove-most all just know Harmon and try to apply the same approach to our stove but just can’t offer any real support about the product. Thank you for any insight anyone can provide-it’s making us crazy!

You said while the stove is on... You lift up the lid... Then obviously the switch pops up, on then it goes into cleaning mode on display...but then it fails to relight? Shouldn't the stove already be burning, thus not requiring a new 'ignitor' startup?

I know in my above posts if you open the lid too long it will chirp and go into cleaning mode... And then shut off... its like turning it off.. it takes 35 min to clean cool abd shut off... the flame obviously dies...Thats because you took 30 seconds .... I set mine to 60 seconds.

Its a safety feature to turn off if lid open too long so nothing falls inside lol.

Fill a 5 gallon home depot bucket with pellets.. put a peice of cardboard on top ( cover little holes near front so nothing drops in. Open lid while on... Pour... Don't let more than 30 seconds pass... Gently close lid.. don't slam it... If it still is wacky order a new switch from east coast hearth website and replace switch. It unscrews and plugs into a 2 slide in wires.

Sounds like the switch is acting normal. Maybe your taking too long to fill it. 30 seconds is very fast.

Explain further....

You said while the stove is on... You lift up the lid... Then obviously the switch pops up, on then it goes into cleaning mode on display...but then it fails to relight? Shouldn't the stove already be burning, thus not requiring a new 'ignitor' startup?

I know in my above posts if you open the lid too long it will chirp and go into cleaning mode... And then shut off... its like turning it off.. it takes 35 min to clean cool abd shut off... the flame obviously dies...Thats because you took 30 seconds .... I set mine to 60 seconds.

Its a safety feature to turn off if lid open too long so nothing falls inside lol.

Fill a 5 gallon home depot bucket with pellets.. put a peice of cardboard on top ( cover little holes near front so nothing drops in. Open lid while on... Pour... Don't let more than 30 seconds pass... Gently close lid.. don't slam it... If it still is wacky order a new switch from east coast hearth website and replace switch. It unscrews and plugs into a 2 slide in wires.

Sounds like the switch is acting normal. Maybe your taking too long to fill it. 30 seconds is very fast.

Explain further....

Explain further....

Thank you so much for getting back to me! I am aware of the 30 sec to fill chirp, it’s not that. We have had the stove for about 8 years, over the last year, when we fill it before bed, which is at various levels of full with pellets, we lift the cover and it immediately kicks into “cleaning grate” mode. It cycles through that for what sounds like forever and then starts to chirp and say “no light” which is weird because we can see a flame. I then have to shut the stove off, let it cool, check the burn pot which is not packed full of ash at all. I restart the stove and it lights and works as it should.

This is always a direct result of lifting the lid to fill it with pellets no matter what the pellet level is. Otherwise the stove functions great, we clean every 3-4 days and have had it professionally cleaned every year.

Any thoughts as to what is connected to the lifting of the lid and cleaning mode?

The service person who did the annual pro clean last spring had no idea what it could be (he’s more experienced with Harmon stoves) …and of course it didn’t do it when he was here…again, it’s not every time, but is starting to happen much more frequently.

Thank you for your response and any additional suggestions/ideas!!

This might sound stupid, but it sounds like opening the cover is triggering a shut down. Usually when it cant detect the temperature increases, it says no light. Its possible it could be the smoke sensor. It detects the heat. Maybe when you open it, its rechecking the systems. But then the stove wouldn't light when you start it again.... You could try this. Tape the switch down with electric tape. Run it a few weeks. If it doesn't do it, it may have a short in the switch. I would replace that first. East coast hearth.com

But if it does do it, it could still be the switch because even if its pressed down it could still not be touching down inside the black box part of the switch... But its more unlikely.

Part pzrp.RF02033660

62 dollars.

It has some black box inside the switch... Maybe its defective on yours. That should stop it. And i since it only happens sometimes, sounds like the.switch.... getting worn. It could be triggering the motherboard to shut down thinking its more than 30 seconds... When you open it, switch immediately goes into over 30 second mode, shuts down... Acts up. Possible the no.light is just an after effect message, not related.

replace the switch. Im sure its that. If your wrong it only cost you 62 bucks.

Unscrew the four grate screws. Carefully not to drop them inside. Pull the grade out. Reach in back un plug the switch take picture first so you know which wire goes where. Use a small wrench or hand to untighten the nut and slide the switch out. Replace with new one. Done.

Screenshot_20220209-012506_Chrome.jpg 20220209_012847.jpg 20220209_012833.jpg

Last edited:
This might sound stupid, but it sounds like opening the cover is triggering a shut down. Usually when it cant detect the temperature increases, it says no light. Its possible it could be the smoke sensor. It detects the heat. Maybe when you open it, its rechecking the systems. But then the stove wouldn't light when you start it again.... You could try this. Tape the switch down with electric tape. Run it a few weeks. If it doesn't do it, it may have a short in the switch. I would replace that first. East coast hearth.com

But if it does do it, it could still be the switch because even if its pressed down it could still not be touching down inside the black box part of the switch... But its more unlikely.

Part pzrp.RF02033660

62 dollars.

It has some black box inside the switch... Maybe its defective on yours. That should stop it. And i since it only happens sometimes, sounds like the.switch.... getting worn. It could be triggering the motherboard to shut down thinking its more than 30 seconds... When you open it, switch immediately goes into over 30 second mode, shuts down... Acts up. Possible the no.light is just an after effect message, not related.

Unscrew the four grate screws. Carefully not to drop them inside. Pull the grade out. Reach in back un plug the switch take picture first so you know which wire goes where. Use a small wrench or hand to untighten the nut and slide the switch out. Replace with new one. Done.

View attachment 291853 View attachment 291854 View attachment 291855
What a great idea! I taped down…it’s only been 1 day, but it hasn’t happened! I will order the switch and

Part pzrp.RF02033660

62 dollars.

View attachment 291853 View attachment 291854 View attachment 291855
Holy guacamole-you’re a genius! It’s only been a day, tape on button and it hasn’t gone into cleaning mode when we lift the cover to hopper!

I really appreciate your additional instructions on how to install new switch-seems pretty straightforward, ordering now!

Thank you so much! :)

Awsome, so at least this way we rule out other components. So its the switch, or the wire to the switch, or possibly but very unlikely, the mother board is which i doubt because taping it down wouldn't work if it was bad connection to board.

Obviously unplug the stove when you install the new switch, after a complete shut down. No power. And make sure you unplug it only after its off, not cleaning at the end... Dont wanna shock your stoves electrical cycle.

Also vaccum around the lid and the switch when you vaccum. Fine dust may have found a way inside the switch which caused the erratic behavior. I always vacuum the lid and gently around the switch. I dont for example suck the switch because its delicate, just swish by it remove wood dust. Also watch the hinge to the lid, sometimes a pellet can sneak under and the lid may look closed but its slightly raised... This causes the switch not to get pushed down far enough.

Last edited:
What a great idea! I taped down…it’s only been 1 day, but it hasn’t happened! I will order the switch and

Holy guacamole-you’re a genius! It’s only been a day, tape on button and it hasn’t gone into cleaning mode when we lift the cover to hopper!

I really appreciate your additional instructions on how to install new switch-seems pretty straightforward, ordering now!

Thank you so much! :)
Welcome. I know its temporary. Ill pray the new switch works better. And if it ever happens to me at least ill know also 🤣. I replaced my ignitor also , i do it every 4 years. Its 80 bucks screws in , and plugs in. I just don't wanna take a chance that it wont heat up. I notice the fire 🔥 is much quicker to start. Other than that i haven't replaced anything since 2017 when i purchased it.

Welcome. I know its temporary. Ill pray the new switch works better. And if it ever happens to me at least ill know also 🤣. I replaced my ignitor also , i do it every 4 years. Its 80 bucks screws in , and plugs in. I just don't wanna take a chance that it wont heat up. I notice the fire 🔥 is much quicker to start. Other than that i haven't replaced anything since 2017 when i purchased it.
We purchased ours in like 2010, so maybe I should replace the igniter too? I think we also need a new fan, it's tough to find someone who's available and knows the Piazetta where we are..will keep trying. Thank you again for your great idea/help!

And yes i would recommend the ignitor. Its easy to install. I can explain it later.

Convection fan i ordered a spare. And exaust i have a spare. The gasket doesnt come with the exhaust fan. Its a foam circle. It installs on the bottom of the stove under the flame. You order gasket separately.

My first convection fan spare came broken, but east coast hearth replaced it. Didnt even make me return it. The peice that plugs in was broken from the main fan.

Be aware i never installed these, but when the shiz hits the fan, its good to call my dealer and say i got the part come down..so you aren't without stove for weeks.

I probably could do it myself☺️, but fans and smoke etc.. just call those dealers i sent you.

Why do you think you need a new fan? But then again if its 10 plus years, why not.

There is also a video on how to adjust some settings to make it burn little cleaner and to make it 60 seconds to fill before alarm comes on. I also increased my grate cleaning times to 60 seconds and notice my pot doesnt get clogged as much. I can do a few days easy without having to worry bout lazy flames.

Watch my video

The ignitor involved removing the top grate... 4 screws... Opening the door and removing the 2 screws beneath it to remove the bottom cover...then you fan access the screws on the right cover to renove the right cover. They have some in front on the side and a few in back. On the ones in back i just loosened them. And the ones in front i removed. Pop and slide the right cover off. And slide it back in after. That will allow you to access the ignitor. It fits inside a metal tube and you need a small adjustable wrench. Unplug it from the board, unscrew, pull out, put back new one. Remember where the plug goes into. Take a pic.

The reason i replaced mine after 4 years was because i like the auto function when im away at work. To turn it on. I dont want to take a chance it wont ignite when im away. So new one every 4 years, because they do wear out.

I also hooked up a battery backup pure signwave, and put a wyze camera to monitor it 24/7. So you can keep an eye on it when away from home.

And yes i would recommend the ignitor. Its easy to install. I can explain it later.

Convection fan i ordered a spare. And exaust i have a spare. The gasket doesnt come with the exhaust fan. Its a foam circle. It installs on the bottom of the stove under the flame. You order gasket separately.

My first convection fan spare came broken, but east coast hearth replaced it. Didnt even make me return it. The peice that plugs in was broken from the main fan.

Be aware i never installed these, but when the shiz hits the fan, its good to call my dealer and say i got the part come down..so you aren't without stove for weeks.

I probably could do it myself☺️, but fans and smoke etc.. just call those dealers i sent you.

Why do you think you need a new fan? But then again if its 10 plus years, why not.

Thank you for these options, I typically use Frost & Flame, but they rarely call back and it's a challenge to get an apt. I called Maine Stove & Chimney and have an apt. for a look and possibly to install a new fan. Reason is it makes a fair amount of noise and I'm concerned it will just die in the dead of winter, so want to beat it to the punch. I'm ordering the igniter and the hopper switch and will install, seems pretty straightforward? Feel free to share any other tips you have for either and thank so much!

Thank you for these options, I typically use Frost & Flame, but they rarely call back and it's a challenge to get an apt. I called Maine Stove & Chimney and have an apt. for a look and possibly to install a new fan. Reason is it makes a fair amount of noise and I'm concerned it will just die in the dead of winter, so want to beat it to the punch. I'm ordering the igniter and the hopper switch and will install, seems pretty straightforward? Feel free to share any other tips you have for either and thank so much!
Let me know.what fan your doing. I would be curious to see how they replace it. Exaust or convection fan?