Piazzetta A to Z part 04 ( the features )

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pascal_Maertens

Feeling the Heat
Understanding power levels

During normal operating mode – the Exhaust Fan operates in conjunction with the power level selected by the end user, but unlike all North American stove, with the respective pre-set and fully adjustable parameters that if unlocked will range from 1500 to 2800 rpm;

Power Level 1 = 18P;

Power Level 2 = 19P;

Power Level 3 = 20P;

Power Level 4 = 21P;

Power Level 5 = 22P;

During normal operation – the Exhaust fan increases its speed to 2700 rpm to executing a cleaning of ash from the grate at pre-set fixed intervals found in parameter 12P.

This cycle of “ Cleaning Grate” is executed ONLY at power levels 3,4 & 5 , and not power levels 1 & 2.

My Advice: and don’t run your stove to P1 or P2 if the temperature is too hi or too low simply adjust the thermostat not the power level, unless you need to speed up the for few minutes then P4 or P5 only

Energy saver vs no Energy saver issue
In spring time and fall time where we don’t need to heath the house constantly, I do recommend using the ENERGY SAVING mode, the stove will automatically shut down desired degree +1, or power up once the desired degree -1 is reached, this was my shortest version for me explaining this mode. Please take a moment to read your manual and understand the ENERGY SAVING mode.

If the stove is installed in a house that is not properly insulated, in real winter weather condition I recommend to turn the ENERGY SAVING off, cause on the end it will not be saving much I explain;

• If UNIT of MAESURMENT is set in Celsius and the ENERGY SAVER set ( -1 degree off desire temp to start ) and ( +1 degree of desire temp to stop); at an outside temperature of -30 and the stove thermostat set to 20 degree.
Once the temperature in the house will increase over 20 +1 degree = 22 the stove is going in an ENERGY SAVING mode it will start the shot down procedures till cold, by then the temperature will had start to decrease, once under 20 -1 degree = 18 the thermostat will send a new demand to the stove and a start-up procedures begin and when I talk about procedures I mean it’s going to take allots of pellets and 30 to 40 minutes before the convection fan stars and give you some heat, in a house that is not properly insulated the demands to the thermostat are going to be steady, on and off, well you will need to change your igniter more often and it’s an approx. 80$ CAN part plus time to install it $$ so in these condition leave the ENERGY SAVING off.

• Only one customer ask me ( why does my stove shot down at 21 instead off 22 ) reason is simple, the stove dose not display decimals but supports them, in fact it’s reading 21,5 but the display shows 21 only.
What will happen if you do not engage the ENERGY SAVING mode? Let’s say you are using, as I recommend, your power level at P3 and are demanding for a temperature of 20 degree. Once the temperature will increase over 20 degree, the stove will automatically drop the power level to P1 ( the display will show P3 ) till a new demand is made by the thermostat, the stove will always be hot, you will end up with a steadier temperature, cost you less pellets and save your igniter.

• Please refer to your manual for the procedure on how to turn on and off the Energy Saver mode

Hard wood vs soft wood

Again, might I’ll get stoned, some people thinks that hard wood is the best pellet you’ll find wrong!! This come from people that run wood stove, they will tell you; to heat up a house you need half more soft wood to do the same job hard wood would. The calorific value of wood is almost the same in weight, regardless of the essence!

17.1 btu / Kg for oak

17.3 btu / kg for fir and birch

But as the wood is sold through volume commonly called "CORD" (1 cord = 4 'X 8' X 14 "or 16") and not the weight and softwoods are lighter (+/- 340kg / cord) that hardwoods (+/- 420kg / cord) would require a larger volume of softwood for the same weight. Once crushed and convert to pellets, 40 pounds of soft or 40 pound hard wood will be the same size.

My own advice on this, remember that a good quality pellet is more important than the essence, check what is mostly available in your neighbourhood and adjust your Piazzetta stove with what wood is available and stick to it. And believe me when I say that Piazzetta can burn soft wood, if you’re in doubt then just go visit a European forum, 90% of them will even tell you that soft is better. It is so funny to see the different comment between North America and Europe forums.

The use of an external thermostat
Is it needed? One example where you can spare the expense of an external thermostat is when the stove is installed in the basement and no one really live in it. You can cut the thermostat probe wire and extend it to the first floor with a same size wire. I did mine and I get to read on my stove the temperature that I have upstairs on the first floor where we mostly live. Sometime because of the sun coming true the windows I will get a 22-23 degree, mean will in the basement some time it can go down to 19 degree, I don’t want my stove to power up we are not using the basement.

Even do the Piazzetta stoves have all the possibility to be run by a sim card one cool thing about external thermostat is that some of them can be run by Wi-Fi and set and diagnosed from a smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.