Piazzetta Monia - Sooty Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

blurrywagon

Dec 27, 2019
New York
We've had our Piazzetta Monia for four years and the previous owner of the house used it for two prior to that. It's always been a reliable performer and keeps most of our house nice and toasty. Recently, when we noticed that we were getting some soot on the glass, we figured it was time to do the big clean out of the chimney.

After cleaning out copious amounts of ash from the chimney, giving it a good scrub, and performing the leaf blower trick, we figured we'd be good to go. Nope. We were still having soot accumulate on the glass and in the stove. Thinking we might have a blockage somewhere closer to the stove, we pulled it away from the wall, vacuumed out the the stove outlet, and blew out any remaining ash from inside just to be safe. The soot problem remained.

At this point, I called the dealer to schedule a visit and explained what was going on. Six weeks until they can visit.

Thinking this issue might be a restriction on the air supply, we took all the side panels off and double checked that there were no restrictions. All looks clear on the supply side.

At this point, it feels like we either have a bad sensor or need some programming done. The stove's never been cleaner.

Although I dont have experience with that particular stove someone on the forum here has explained alot of the settings in detail:

We saw this post before and tried running it at P3. Soot still a problem. Burning high-quality soft pellets (from Canada). Beginning to think I'll need to get one of those magnehelic gauges to check things out. Anyone know if there is a pic on how to attach them on this forum?