Piazzetta Sabrina Room Fan (Blower) doesn’t come on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chris04614

Aug 13, 2018
Maine, USA
I’ve got a Piazzetta Sabrina I purchased around 2014. I had to have the room fan component replaced my first year which was under warranty. I just started the stove today to check for issues as I am about to schedule my annual service/cleaning. The stove went through the normal startup but the room fan never came on. I shut the stove down, let it sit for 10 minutes and restarted it and still no room fan. I’m thinking there might be an issue with an internal thermostat (not the room thermostat in the back of the unit). Also possibly since it’s been a humid summer and the stove hasn’t run for a few months there could be some corrosion around the blower motor bearing? Any ideas?

I do not know your stove but just a shot in the dark
1 Does the fan run on start up ? normally
2 does the stove have to heat up to get the circulation fan running ?
And if #2 did you let it get warm enough ?

The fan does not normally run on start-up. My understanding is that there is a thermostat (internal) that recognizes when the fan should come on.
Over the past 4 winters the fan has always come on once the unit goes through startup "phases" which are indicated on a panel. I noticed when I started the unit and the startup phases had completed that the fan did not come on. I initially had the same thoughts that I didn't let it warm up enough, though I know from experience it should have come on by that point. I shut the unit down after a minute of no fan as I didn't want to damage anything (though I'm sure there are built in safeties to keep this from happening). The dealer that sold me the unit and does the annual servicing asked the the same questions. They are working me into the schedule to come and do the annual clean/service and have a look at what the issue may be. Fingers crossed it is a simple (and inexpensive) fix. I'll certainly post what the issue turned out to be once I get it diagnosed and fixed!

I have a Piazzetta Monia, according to the programing manual, on the Sabrina, the minimum smoke temp for the room fan to come on is 176F. I suspect you might not be letting the stove warm up enough. I've had my stove start up plenty of times, pass phase II, and then still take a few minutes for the room blower to come on.

Reactions: Chris04614
Phishman, thanks for that info. I had no idea that the room fan was tied into smoke temp. I started the stove this morning and after it finished phase II I felt the stove pipe and it was still quite cool. I gave it another solid 5 minutes of running and right about the time the stove pipe became nice and warm to the touch the room fan came on! Perhaps since it’s been very humid this summer the pellets in the hopper have picked up moisture and not burning quite as hot causing a delay/slow temperature rise? Either way it’s working and I appreciate that info you shared! I guess good things come to those who wait ;)

In some very rare occasion this temperature can also be lowered or raised to prevent some issues they are usually set at 85*C

you also have to make sure that the upper part of the exhaust is clean say about 6 to 7 inch from the and there is a sensor if you look thru the back grid you can see the orange cable if it is full off ash it can be isolated from the real temperature an you will get longer delay before that fan comes on.

Last edited:
The best way to fix this is to make sure the smoke sensor isn't dirty. Take the panel off of the top the grate... And take the panel off of the bottom. You can access the screws by opening the door.

This will allow you to access the screws that are in sideways on the left panel door.

Then unscrew just a little bit the back screws just to allow the metal door to slide out and remove it place it somewhere so it doesn't fall.
At the exhaust point you'll see a red cable going into the pipe.

It has two metal pieces that clasp onto a groove. Just use your fingers and pull them a little bit and gently lift the probe out.

Give it a clean with a wet rag dry it nicely.

And while you're in there just vacuum.

The other thing I would recommend is on the clean out valve you probably have one near the entry of the stove Make sure any accumulation of dust is out of there.

My tee s about 6 in away from my stove..
I also have another tea on the outside so I can clean both areas

Every year when I clean my smoke chamber which is inside I use a long tube hooked up to my vacuum and kind of go in there to try to get all the ash and junk out I also use a brush too.

Sometimes Ash can accumulate in there and also cause the smoke not to go out as fast.

The last test you can do is going to hit the plus button for 6 seconds which is the last button on your stove hold it down and scroll to stove status.

While the stove is operational you'll see the temperature of the smoke probe.

I think when it reaches 176 or something the fan turns on anything lower it won't.

It takes a good like 20 minutes or so for the fan to go on after the stove is on and there are a lot of variables like if you're at power 3 or at power One or at power 5...

But as long as your temperature is increasing that's a good sign and that just means your stove might have gotten a slower burn it might be at level 1 and the fan just shut off temporarily it will go back on after a few minutes after the temperature goes back up... Can be due to burning the stove at level 1 or just the pellets going through a cycle where you have a few pellets that don't burn as well so the stove pipe doesn't get as hot this is completely normal

I actually just completed this process about 5 minutes ago and just for your information I turned on the stove and it took about 18 to 20 minutes for the fan to go on when I hit the status button it was 178° f

The flame was medium but burning on level 3... So it's natural to assume that if it goes back to level one for a while... And you see that slow globurn the fan may turn off for a little bit until the temperature goes back up... If you want the fan blowing constantly I would probably recommend you increase the temperature of the stove to like 75... And put it on power level 3... That way on those cold winter nights it'll constantly blow hot air and you never have to worry about the stove getting too cool.. this can be caused by some batches of pellets...some burn hotter...some colder... Even la Crete... The ones i burn have some variations in the heat output.

If you're worried about the fan not working there is a way to go into the factory settings and using the code I think it's e9... Will allow you to see the different RPMs and cleaning time settings.. you just have to basically scroll through and keep hitting the set button and eventually it will go to the fans level 1 through level five. This is a good way to test if you're fan actually works without having to turn on your stove. If the fan doesn't turn on in those processes that means the fan may be bad.

Last edited:
In some very rare occasion this temperature can also be lowered or raised to prevent some issues they are usually set at 85*C

you also have to make sure that the upper part of the exhaust is clean say about 6 to 7 inch from the and there is a sensor if you look thru the back grid you can see the orange cable if it is full off ash it can be isolated from the real temperature an you will get longer delay before that fan comes on.
Look at my video on the bottom to go into factory settings... Its p15 for this setting... Its set at 80c same as 176f

You can lower it to 70c ...at most

So if you have chitty pellets or a less thab hot system your fan will stay on at lowert temps