Piazzetta Sveva 5th Winter update + 2 Q.'s for the experts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

biom@ss

Oct 28, 2015
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi All,

This is my 5th Winter with the Piazzetta Sveva, and I want to post an update.

Overall, I'm very happy with the stove. It burns hot and efficiently, and keeps my whole house warm. I've noticed that I go through about 2 pallets of pellets per Winter, and so it saves me something like $1000 per season in heating costs compared with my electric heat. Not to mention that it is absolutely beautiful, relatively quiet, fueled sustainably, and very well built!

I've been running my Sveva on Energy Saver, even in the Winter because our house is well-insulated, and the stove will over-heat the house if I leave it running, even on Power level 1. However, as Pascal has pointed out in his sticky thread, this does shorten the life of the igniter. My igniter just failed a few weeks ago, and I replaced it the other day without much of an issue (except sourcing the part-whew!). If you've replaced a spark plug in a car, it's not much different. You just pull the right side (standing in front of the stove and looking at it) panel, and use a 17mm wrench after unclipping the electrical connector plug.

After putting the new igniter in, I followed Pascal's sticky thread instructions to update the cleaning cycles (P3 and P12 adjustments), and what a difference! There's virtually no ash in the burn pot after 2 days of running the stove.

It took me a few tries to understand the instructions in the sticky on how to make this adjustment, so here's a supplement:

1. Press the #6 button for ~5 sec.'s
2. scroll to "menu parameters" and press the #3 button.
3. scroll to "settings factory" and press the #3 button.
4. enter code: E9.

Now you're in, and can follow Pascal's .pdf sheet for your stove to update P3 and P12 to the new recommendations for cleaning the grate. As he says, don't change anything except what's listed as a recommended update !

This stove really is amazing, and although the interface for adjusting is not intuitive, it is very much worth learning - from the Piazzetta sticky threads - because the performance improves alot!

Now my 2 q.'s:

1. When I went in to my dealer to get the new igniter, he told me that he had adjusted the settings on his own Piazzetta, but lost the settings due to a power failure, and it was a nuissance, and he never reset them, etc. and ended up buying another kind of stove. Can this story be correct? I noticed that the motherboard of my Sveva has a small, button-type battery in it, and assumed this would store the settings in the case of a power failure. Is my assumption correct?

2. What is the size (or model #) of that button-type battery? I did not check when I opened up the stove to replace the igniter, and I would like to get a replacement before opening the stove again - i.e. so I only have to open it up once to replace the battery.

Thanks for any answers to these questions, and happy pellet burning!

-Biom@ss

Reactions: Pascal_Maertens
Mods,
Maybe move this to the Pellet Mill?

I think the thing to do is to drop Pascal Maertens a direct message. Just do a search.

1. When I went in to my dealer to get the new igniter, he told me that he had adjusted the settings on his own Piazzetta, but lost the settings due to a power failure, and it was a nuissance, and he never reset them, etc. and ended up buying another kind of stove. Can this story be correct? I noticed that the motherboard of my Sveva has a small, button-type battery in it, and assumed this would store the settings in the case of a power failure. Is my assumption correct?

2. What is the size (or model #) of that button-type battery? I did not check when I opened up the stove to replace the igniter, and I would like to get a replacement before opening the stove again - i.e. so I only have to open it up once to replace the battery.

Thanks for any answers to these questions, and happy pellet burning!

-Biom@ss
Well thank you very much it's a real pleasure !

info 1- I would bet that he never went to do the settings at your house !?
If you pull the plug like I do in summer, all the settings will be there in fall when you plug it back, because of that battery.
it's just like a computer, this battery will run for years... ok let says that there is a chance for it to fail.
but once you change it (( if you know how.. obviously not for all technician )) it's sure not a reason to change the stove !?
some people prefer to change car instead of washing them.

info 2- CR2032

Best regards

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4419.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4419.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 176