pic request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
ok so to make a long story short... i don't feel 100% comfortable with the temp of my side walls (corner install), so i am going to put a stove pipe shield on, and make some kinda of wall shield...

can you guys post up pics of what your wall coverings look like.... i'd like to make something out of metal that i can sit on the hearth during winter months and remove while not in use... if that makes any sense....

i just don't want the look of unfinished metal wall protection all year round... unless you know of a way to "finish" metal/ tin wall protection? i assume i could paint the sheet metal black with high temp paint...

Hi guy glad to see you made it ok from you test burn. That had some worried for ya.

Check out the photo section on the main hearth site.

https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/woodcoal/index.html

You might do the tile wall thing and make things look real nice while your improving things. Check out the gallery for some ideas - along with the double wall connector pipe you may be getting.

I'd just put on the pipe shields for starters. They will make a very big difference. We had them on our 602 and the woodwork behind the pipe never got hot.

myzamboni in Silicon Valley has the prettiest metal shield I've ever seen...a gracefully curved sheet of stainless steel that wraps around behind his stove. I've never read where he mentioned it being removable, though...but if it were mine I'd never want to remove it, it's stunning. Maybe he'll post a pic here to give you an idea. Or you could PM him & ask to see it. Rick

I don't think you can have it sit on the ground. You need 1" of airspace at the bottom and behind.

Here is mine (permanent setup) 24gauge brushed stainless.

Fossil, it doesn't wrap, but actully has a 90 degree bend in the corner. I also had the edges folded over so they are not a cutting hazard. I used 1" aluminum hollow square stock for the standoffs.

IMG_0172.jpg

BeGreen said:
I'd just put on the pipe shields for starters. They will make a very big difference. We had them on our 602 and the woodwork behind the pipe never got hot.

when doing the touch test... it felt like the walls were hotter right behind and to the left side of my stove... the right side doesn't really have any walls with-in 36"

to be honest... i think the cast stove is heating the walls more than the stove pipe..... my pipe is almost 18" from the walls.... which still makes them a little hot but for like 35 bucks for the stove pipe shield i'm not worried...

i was thinking about attaching sheet metal to some sort of base and then positioning it on the hearth.....

if i went tile, i would have to put cement board up, with an air space then do all the tile work with the stove up on the hearth...

i'm ordering a laser thermometer... i may be nuts and the walls might only be like 150 degrees... which means i should be safe without doing anything...

myzamboni said:
...Fossil, it doesn't wrap, but actully has a 90 degree bend in the corner.

Oh, well, then I don't like it anymore. :down: (j/k...I love it!) Rick

trailblaze said:
ok so to make a long story short... i don't feel 100% comfortable with the temp of my side walls (corner install)...

It won't make you feel better but I have a bud with a corner installed stove, no heat shield, he's shy of meeting the safe distance requirements AND....he lives in an all wood log home. His walls by the stove get Africa hot but he's not had a problem in 10+ years. Put your shield up for your piece of mind but it's really hard to set something ablaze from the heat off your stove....it can be done but it's hard.

my zamboni....

thats nice... kinda big for what i had in mind...i just needed something directly in line with the height of my stove...

plus i was thinking black

i'm ordering a laser thermometer... i may be nuts and the walls might only be like 150 degrees... which means i should be safe without doing anything...

If it's indeed 150F you are fine....probably won't sleep a lick but sleep is so overrated. ;-P

Unfortunantly I don't have a picture handy, but I have a wall heat shield made from powder coated aluminum and it holds up just fine. I picked it up from a friend who builds bodies for race cars. Its .030" thick and white on both sides, I just cut it to fit and made some fiberglass spacers and screwed it to the wall, it blended in fairly well until we painted the wall a different color LOL. Costs about ~$70-90 for a 4'x10' sheet. For a temporary corner install you could just bend it at 90* and set it behind the stove..

EDIT: In SW PA you are in sprint car country, there should be a speed shop around that could get you a piece..

moshiersr said:
Unfortunantly I don't have a picture handy, but I have a wall heat shield made from powder coated aluminum and it holds up just fine. I picked it up from a friend who builds bodies for race cars. Its .030" thick and white on both sides, I just cut it to fit and made some fiberglass spacers and screwed it to the wall, it blended in fairly well until we painted the wall a different color LOL. Costs about ~$70-90 for a 4'x10' sheet. For a temporary corner install you could just bend it at 90* and set it behind the stove..

EDIT: In SW PA you are in sprint car country, there should be a speed shop around that could get you a piece..

haha , yeah the people i work for have race cars... dirt racing, but none the less... they also have metal benders/ brakes... i'm set when and if i make something... just looking for ideeas

Hell, go to a race and get a bent up wing...there'd be nuff' aluminum to make heat shields for everything ya got!. :lol:

trailblaze said:
my zamboni....

thats nice... kinda big for what i had in mind...i just needed something directly in line with the height of my stove...

plus i was thinking black

In my case I was making sure I exceeded minimum code requirements. Technically, wood stove installs are not allowed in my municipality. I had to convince the city planning dept. to grant a variance. Fortunately, knowledge is power, and I had the upper hand in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.